John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old clutches were slipping and making lots of noises, so we changed both of them. Now the new clutch doesn’t close all the way causing the top speed in high gear to be about 5 mph.

·
Super Moderator
3,509 Posts
Old clutches were slipping and making lots of noises, so we changed both of them. Now the new clutch doesn’t close all the way causing the top speed in high gear to be about 5 mph.
Are the “new clutch’s” the same part numbers, as the old clutch’s ?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
New as in new parts or new to you?

if new parts return to seller or at least discuss with them.

is your engine capable of high enough rpms for it to move?

gas clutch requires higher rpms to engage than diesels.

is belt new and of proper length and width.

how did it run before the parts exchange?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all parts are new from John Deere. Belt is same number, but I didn’t check the clutch number. Surely they would not sell me the wrong part. 🙄 I will check the part numbers again. It was running and traveling at top speed fine before just making lots of noises and sloping with a new belt. Could the clutch be for a gas engine that turns more rpms? Thank you guys for the advice

·
Super Moderator
3,509 Posts
all parts are new from John Deere. Belt is same number, but I didn’t check the clutch number. Surely they would not sell me the wrong part. 🙄 I will check the part numbers again. It was running and traveling at top speed fine before just making lots of noises and sloping with a new belt. Could the clutch be for a gas engine that turns more rpms? Thank you guys for the advice
The weights in Primary Clutch are almost twice as heavy in a diesel clutch, than a clutch for a gas engine. As such you will have more noise from the diesel clutch because of the rotating mass.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discuss symptoms with dealer where the parts were purchased. It’s likely they will be willing to advise.

let’s us know what they say and outcome.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
glad to hear it’s getting resolved.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I too am glad it’s being taken care of honestly.

There are probably over a half dozen Team clutches meant for a gas Gator that will fit in place perfectly on. Diesel, but they fully close at about twice the RPM. Than the diesel clutch.

Tip; A diesel clutch has a yellow serial number tag while a clutch for a gas Gator has a green or black tag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts