John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 855d we got some bad fuel a month or so back and had water we drained and cleaned the tank have replaced the fuel filter 3 times and all good fuel in bowel now it starts and runs but will just fall on its face now like it is not getting fuel now just out of the blue and when you turn to the right any ideas in this it is about to drive me crazy I run 4 miles down the road to feed at the farm and get half way there and it will just drop speed down to 2 or three mph or die hit the key and it starts up runs rough for a few sec and then will take off go 5 feet and die again then out of the blue it will be fine thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Pinched hose? Loose or corroded electrical connection and/or ground. Usually if the fuel is contaminated or suffering from bacteria (slime or jelly like substance), it will lose power before shutting off and not be an abrupt shutoff.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
jborden3, did you find the root cause and fix the problem? Care to share the solution with the forum?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 855d 2012 same issue with running for a mile or 2 and then just die, shut off starts right back up rund 5-10 ft shuts off then let it sit and it will do the same thing the next day I also feed with mine same issue. So far i have replaced the fuel shut off relay the fuel feed pump no luck Anyone have any ideas i have not checked wires yet but hard to believe elec seams like fuel delivery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crap on the pickup tube was thick and slimy also fuel filter gets water in it will stop fuel flow cleaned tank and pickup tube good and fuel tank out and had to replace the fuel filter a few times have had no problems since

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
For what it is worth, diesel owners may consider using a biocide as preventative measures against the slime (bacteria) that grows in diesel fuel. Once contaminated it is very difficult to resolve the problem by cleaning tank and filter. One must disassemble the filter housing and other fuel lines & components within the system.

I personally run a fuel additive (lubricant, cetane boost and gel protection) in addition to the biocide.

Here's an example of a biocide. There are many manufactures on the market, so pick what you want.
https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

Here's an article written for boat owners who suffer the same fate with diesel fuel. If in the US the products may not be available, but you might find the background information interesting.
https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/12-diesel-bug-treatments-tested-43353

1 - 6 of 6 Posts