John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. New here, thanks for the add.

I’ve read quite a bit about folks improving gas Gators by modifying the springs and weights in the CVT so it engages at a lower RPM and some have increased top end speed as well.

Has anyone worked on improvements for the 855D Gator (the diesel version)? I would love to hear about mods to improve the 855.

I just purchased an 855D used. 2016 model with 420 hours and 2100 miles on it. Just changed oil & replaced oil filter plus inner and outer air filter.

The engine idles at over 1,000 rpm which surprised me. When the cvt engages it sometimes jerks into motion (not a smooth transition from stopped to forward motion). It seems to operate at a higher RPM than I expected so it seems it could benefit from similar lower rpm engagement and faster gear ratio changes that have benefitted the gas Gators. Smoother and quieter would be a welcome change.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The most profound mod would be a turbo kit. You can read my review. Probably going to turbo my 865R. Consider Stanadyne fuel additive in the winter for sure which gives a +8 Cetane boost as well. Not worried about the idle. There is no gear ratio change at all other than shifting from high to low. JD Clutch Doc hasn't put anything out for the 855D but check with Brad Hill. Aftermarket street tires make a difference too and you can check out the Sticky under tires. Just remember there's only so much you can do. My 855D turbo is currently hauling a 100 gallon Foam Ranger around for monitoring slash burns when permitted and is otherwise on standby out on the spread. Turbo makes a huge difference when carrying Max loads. The 855D has become the secondary Gator for a year now. If you have the standard tires wearing out, get rid of them for some decent DOT rated options. Kanati Mongrels work well on mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I’m wondering if I could use a heavier spring weight in the cvt to get engagement at a lower rpm.

Also, has anyone tried lowering the idle speed on these diesel Gators?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m wondering if I could use a heavier spring weight in the cvt to get engagement at a lower rpm.

Also, has anyone tried lowering the idle speed on these diesel Gators?
Heavier spring, or heavier weight? A heavier weight, or lighter spring pressure, will give you an earlier engagement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heavier weight is what I meant. A lighter spring could be an easier option. Has anyone experimented with lighter springs on the diesel Gator? Would love to hear your experiences good or bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lighter spring would work. With all the research I've done, I've not came across many people experimenting with these things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s unfortunate that few have experimented to improve things.
where can I find a list of available springs and the force rating for each one?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Visit TEAM Industries, the should have a list of different springs they offer. The diesel spring is either black with silver stripe, or black with tan stripe. You should be able to search on here, or Google, and find out which. Then you can compare the rate against what springs they have to offer.

Our primary clutches are made by TEAM. You could probably even email them and see if they'll tell you which spring it is, and the rate of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
That’s unfortunate that few have experimented to improve things.
where can I find a list of available springs and the force rating for each one?
You will need to go Venom Products or EPI Performance

Reactions: HogWild

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Brad.
This may not be possible but I would love to reduce idle to maybe 900 - 950 rpm then get the cvt to engage around 1,150 - 1,250 RPM (instead of 1,450 - 1,525 RPM as it does now).

If I could get the above worked out, I would like to send my clutch to you guys Brad to eliminate the “jerky” engagement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts