John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 855 D gator that the power steering was having intermittent issues. Now it quit all together. Also the speedometer quit working. I cleaned all connections, tested voltage and grounds, replaced speed sensor, and check speed sensor wires. Everything checks out. If I unplug the power steering unit connector that has the speed sensor wires in it, the speedometer works fine. I’m convinced the power steering unit is at fault, but would like to know for sure before replacing it. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Factory or aftermarket power steering?

I thought the factory EPAS did a self check in the run position and would report when there is an error.

Maybe you have battery voltage, but too little current. Tests ok at battery voltage, but when connected to EPAS there is not enough current and voltage drops significantly.

I trust you have a workshop manual since you stated that everything tests out fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory power steering. Voltage was tested right where wire enters steering unit. 12.8 volt with key on engine off. 14.1 with engine running. No voltage drop when turning steering wheel. The idiot light is on. It flashes 2 flashes about 2 seconds long. Then pause and repeat.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That’s your error code for it. They can be found in the technical manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a manual. 176 bucks is a little high for one. Does anyone know what that code means?

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
I have an 855 D gator that the power steering was having intermittent issues. Now it quit all together. Also the speedometer quit working. I cleaned all connections, tested voltage and grounds, replaced speed sensor, and check speed sensor wires. Everything checks out. If I unplug the power steering unit connector that has the speed sensor wires in it, the speedometer works fine. I’m convinced the power steering unit is at fault, but would like to know for sure before replacing it. Any ideas? Thanks.
While I don’t have a 855d on the 825i EPAS the code you described shows the “speed sensor is disconnected “ I’m not certain this will help ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts