John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I purchased an older gator but have had a great experience with it until my neighbor borrowed it. :mad:Upon return it had a clicking noise coming from what I thought was the middle wheel housing. I read around and came to the conclusion that it must be an axle. I ordered the parts removed it put in new bearings and axle and excitedly started her back up, only to find the same noise. It seems to be coming from the sprocket or around that area, but I can't figure it out and need help from someone smarter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like the chain, Look to make sure there isn't a stretched or bent link on the chain, Lift up the box and jack up the rear end and put on blocks, Run it to visually look at the chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thanks for replying. When I removed the axel I inspected the chain and it appeared fine. Upon reinstallation of the chain I tested it for proper tension and it checked out per the specs. I have looked the chain over and it seems fine. I lifted the rear and middle tires off of the ground and ran the gator and the noise does not occur when in the air so I don't understand what that means- I hope that this helps someone that understands this to diagnose this. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clicking from chain area

Hello, tonight I discovered a new symptom to my issue. It does not click at all when moving in reverse. Does this mean anything? Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
It could be in the transaxle making the noise,Try removing the shift cable linkage at the trany, put the shift lever at the trany in forward and drive it to see if the clicking goes away. If it does then the cable needs adjusted, If it doesn't possible bent shift fork. I would remove the box to make it easier to work on and listen for the problem.Also a long noise noise stethoscope also works good to help pinpoint the area the noise is coming from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts