John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the forum. I've had a Trail Gator for years. I bought this 6x4 Trail Gator new in October'98. It's a hardworking farming,hunting, riding Gator.
This throttle issue has been long term. I've done all the maintainence my self.
She's never been to the shop as I've had no major issues, except this chronic power application issue.

Start, warmup idle are normal. Driving off is fine. When I get to "mid level" accelerating the throttle/accelerator peddle produces a twitchy,jerky input to the engine. I have run with the cargo box UP and observed what I think is the governor arm flipping in and out as this twitch jerky behavior occurs,despite the spring attached . The throttle cable moves smoothly, the engine makes full Power . I cannot operate easily at slower medium range speed without this jumpy Jerky engine behavior. Going over rough terrain slowly makes this worse.

Though she's 14, she's well maintained and works hard. I Do regular oil changes, she's had a new belt and chains in last year or so. I replaced the cargo lift relays yesterday, cleaned undercarriage and blew out all debris from nooks and crannies.

Is there a "Carb Kit" or "Governor/Carb Kit" or other adjustment to smooth out the mid range acceleration issue?

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
843 Posts
Is there an easy way to rig the linkage and bypass the governor? If you could it could help isolate it to a governor problem. Unfortunately if it is a governor problem I'd be tempted to bypass it instead of pulling the engine and opening up the case to fix the governor internals.

Isn't your engine carbureted? If it were fuel injected I wonder if there is a max rev limiter in the ECM that would protect the engine. I think there are aftermarket, electronic engine rev limiters you could install if you think it might be a problem. We a half way responsible operator it shouldn't be needed though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The arm from the governor is linked to the throttle bell crank so it's actually this small rod w spring over it that moves the throttle butterfly on the carb.as I said running carefully w cargo box up When the issue is occurring the gov arm produces the twitchy movement on the throttle butterfly, thus the jerky ness from engine

I'm wondering if replacing that connector and spring may help.after all it is 14 years old.

My nephew loaned me his tech manual which has a detail on adjusting the governor.

Appreciate the thoughts...

Don

·
Registered
843 Posts
Since the original poster never returned in the past 7 years, you'll probably have to follow some of the ideas in the thread and see if you can determine what's going on with your machine. My first step would be to determine if it's a engine or clutching issue as both can affect the speed of the machine.

Start a new thread if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not a mechanical problem. Just the nature of the beast i recon. Hard to keep your foot consistently steady with the throttle so snappy. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts