John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 Diesel 6x4, I live up in the hills of NW Oregon and in the recent monsoons have gotten this thing stuck in a mud bog and nearly gotten it stuck a few other times and would like to put a winch on the front of this thing.

The parts manual lists a bolt on receiver hitch, a mounting plate that goes into the said receiver hitch, and then a winch that bolts onto the said mounting plate, I really don't like the way that this all goes together and it just seems like too many points of failure...

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a generic stock mounting plate that bolts right onto the front of this thing where the bolt on hitch receiver would go, or has made one that they could show me that I could bolt a small 1000-1500 pound winch onto?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is an older 4x2. I bolted a 3500 lbs to a mount I made which attatches to the bumper.

Bear in mind that the frame is simply sheet metal - and 1500 lbs would likely buckle it.

To use the full power of the winch ( for dragging a tree for instance) - I have a chain point built into the winch mount - and I run a chain under the Gator and attatch it to an anchor. Thus the pull of the winch does not go through the framevof the gator.

I have gotten stuck twice - and the winch dragged me out effortlessly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We have a 2009 diesel 6x4 and I have thought of putting a winch on it. It has a 2" receiver that I added years back and if I do a winch, that's where it will go. Slip it in and pin it and plug in a break-away connector and ready to pull, but backwards. The winch can stowed in a weatherproof box when not needed which is about all the time. There is not much concern about the frame in the back but trying to drag it sideways with a load could be asking for trouble in several ways.

I have gotten it stuck a few times and so far its 100% because it got high centered. Once on a bigger branch hidden under years of duff and the rest on layers of crusty snow. Every time I knew beforehand I was asking for trouble but didn't back out while I still was on the wheels. And pulling it forward means I would have to do it again on the return trip.

One last thing: the gator's alternator doesn't have much output at an idle. So would have to pull for 30 seconds or so and then sit down and run the engine up a bit to recharge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts