John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The output on the XUV alternator seems a little weak. I am concerned about extra light and stereo, would the alternator be able to keep up. Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Old 855d alternator is 40 amps and new is 55 amps. That 40 amps is ok for lights and stereos. 40A x 14V = 560 W. Lights are less than 100 W and engine takes 100 W then you have 360 W. Of course yuo need to charge battery but 360 W is still enough for charging battery and for stereo.

What model do you have? Do you have owners manual? It will say how big charger you have

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 550 XUV and the owners manual states something like 17 watts at idle

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found from web that it is 17 amps. That means 17A x 14V = 238W
And that is with not a lot. If you need to start many times and you dont ride long trails, your battery will be discharged. You should use extra charger to avoid empty battery situation. Perhaps you can use some led lights and normal car stereo but some day you will notice that battery is empty. There is a high curren alternator available. It gives 55 amps. Looks quite expensive but perhaps you can found it with lower price.

I found this link... John Deere High-Capacity Alternator - BM23438

Sorry about my bad english :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
I keep most of my outdoor power stuff and one car on a trickle charger especially during the winter months when using less to keep battery topped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input Jussi, I think I will forget the extra lights and use my power from the battery less. I thought the alternator power was weak.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buy good led lights and use them. Dont use orginal lights. With good led lights you will get more light than xuv own lights and save energy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get & use a battery maintainer or tender, DON'T just use a charger or you may find yourself with some "cooked" batteries!! The maintainers & tenders will automatically shift to float charge when the battery is fully charged. The trickle charger is good for one or two days a month to top off, but don't leave it on all the time as it will just keep trying to charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 550 XUV and the owners manual states something like 17 watts at idle
Dont even know if this is still active, but I too bought a 550 XUV recently and wanted a stereo and lights, how did you come out? did you install anything different or are you able to run everything off stock?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts