John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! First time poster but I've been viewing for some time and love this forum!!

I have had my 825i for three months. My alternator went out and stranded me on the trail. As disappointed as I was, I must say I was impressed with Deere's quick response and service in taking care of the situation.

Here is my main concern and wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions... I work for a corn and soybean company so use my gator for work in the field. However... I want to use it for fun too!! The mechanic at John Deere told me the problem was that I had gone through some fairly deep water (3ft) and this ruined my alternator. I ride with several Rangers, Rhino's, and RZR's so this is the type of trails we ride. (By the way this gator goes through mud these guys have to winch out of!!! My buddies were very impressed.)

Have you guys had problems with this or is there anything I can modify to solve this alternator problem? I know I can if I have to but I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO AROUND THE DEEP HOLES!!! I modified my air intake a bit to keep it above the water.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Kygator

·
Administrator
82 Posts
wouldnt waterproofing these alternators restrrict all the air flow?? have you taken it to an alt/generator rebuilder and asked them whats possible?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A thought on this

The thought of submersing the alternator also bothers me...someday it will happen....I am serching the web to see if anyone is making a water proof one with no luck...I am guessing if you put in a disconnect switch it is still producing power as long as its spinning "correct" !!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not an electrician but lets look at some of the extreme off road vehicles. The engine needs fuel, air and a heat source, ( spark or compression for diesel) to complete the combustion process. Many of these vehicles can go completely underwater and the engine will still run. That being said; if water caused the alternator to fail, I would assume a loose connection that caused a short to burn it up. And just because you can take a vehicle through water, you should always grease the bearings to purge any water that is now sitting in there, and there is the potential for rust so clean and dry everything you can. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Holy Cow this Guy put an 825 thru 3' deep of water, without hydralocking his motor,,and hes worried about an Alternator...I am calling Bullshit on this old STORY!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Why would that be BS Fred? We take several different sxs thru DEEP water. Sometimes deeper than 3 feet and we don't hydralock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
242 Posts
On an 825 the air cleaner sits 2' off the ground,,the belt exhaust around that..water would be coming thru the belt exhaust and start slipping at 26"

·
Registered
904 Posts
He did say he has raised those up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
165 Posts
the possibilities of why the alternator failed has not been answered. if the 3' of water was slightly embellished and it was only 3" is not the issue. Did water actually cause the failure, poor wiring connections or cheap parts? It comes down to a new vehicle that failed. It sounds like Deere made it right but maybe John Deere has a quality issue that needs to be addressed. I've had some great support from JD but I think not having to call for support is far better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
where's the JD support team?

what happened to Fred and Batman? Where's xcopterdoc and deeresales01 with some advice? I know I put some blame on JD for a possible imperfect product but I'm sure most people looking into this type of forum is looking for help and should understand JD probably sells thousands of different tractors/UTV's and the only people here are the unlucky few that got that one lemon. It happens! So, let's help if we can or as everyone knows, "word of mouth" can either make or break you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Like I said, I'm not an electrician but am interested in why the alternator failed. I understand the logic in why it "may" have failed going underwater but on the other hand, why do they sell the snorkels for ATV's? It allows air to aid in the combustion process and I've never seen anything sold to cover other engine parts to prevent water from causing them to fail. Assuming water caused the failure, riding in the rain could cause you to have a very bad day. Now we would all be back to a Jeep, which in fact can go underwater with a snorkel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There are no faulty products or parts. Only imperfect operators and salesman. Tounge in cheek to you all! I'll be back when cutting, mowing, haying, harvesting, break down season is over!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are no faulty products or parts. Only imperfect operators and salesman. Tounge in cheek to you all! I'll be back when cutting, mowing, haying, harvesting, break down season is over!
lol i shall call BS on that statement being a parts guy for deere BUT i will say that it is very rare that Deere has a part just go bad. I will agree that there had to be a problem with the ALT already as water should not have cause it a problem. But from a parts point of view Deere is usually on top of their quality control and what gets shipped out. Now that being said it is very common to see a New machine get sent out with old part numbers when deere has already changed that part and has not changed what gets installed in the factory. craxy yes i know but Deere does it all the time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
And that's the confirmation I was looking for, I agree that if JD sells 1000 machines and only one has an issue after being purchased, that's an acceptable failure rate. And now we all know that going thru some water "shouldn't" cause your alternator to fail but I wouldn't park in 3' of water to prove it:D Thanks
Also good to hear xcopterdoc survived that brutal winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay ... I'm a new member, found this because of my search about gators and water. 14 days ago I took my 825 thru 18-20" of water ... nice slow approach. mid way she died ... dead as a door nail ... just like you turned the key off. My old HPX navigated this stream several times ... pulled her out and off to the shop.

She sat overnight and the next morning turn the key and dead ... tried to jump the starter no go ... put direct wires to the starter no go. Into it we go to get the starter out (that's a job) Sure enough the starter is toasted took it in to the starter shop and beyond rebuild ... ordered a new one installed it yesterday. Also pulled the drain plug for the oil ... must have been 2gts of water in the engine!! New oil and turned the key and ya boy she's running.

I simply can not believe they are allergic to water?

·
Registered
165 Posts
ok, here we go again...what would cause the starter to fry when wet? hot wire from battery is loose? and water in the oil? is the engine lower than 20" and the water was sucked in to the engine by a leak somewhere that there is vacuum? or loose oil filler cap? finding the failures for this and sharing this knowledge is what this forum should strive for so it could grow. There are a couple of John Deere reps that routinely give some very good advice but maybe they should be a little more involved to support what I believe is a very good product. Again, word of mouth is huge to support a company.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My 825i manual makes it clear not to drive through water above the floor board. Water in electrical devices is never good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok, here we go again...what would cause the starter to fry when wet? hot wire from battery is loose? and water in the oil? is the engine lower than 20" and the water was sucked in to the engine by a leak somewhere that there is vacuum? or loose oil filler cap? finding the failures for this and sharing this knowledge is what this forum should strive for so it could grow. There are a couple of John Deere reps that routinely give some very good advice but maybe they should be a little more involved to support what I believe is a very good product. Again, word of mouth is huge to support a company.
I spoke again to the automotive place ... he told me that more than likely when I attempted to start the machine ... the turn of the key and the wet starter is what caused the starter to fry ... not the fact that the water got that deep ... as for water in the crankcase ... the water did not reach the oil cap at the top of the engine ... I'm still wondering how that happen?

I can tell you I was amazed at the amount of water ..I hoisted the front end up with the FEL to inspect things and a lot ... maybe 5-10 gallons of water poured out from guards ... as I removed those to get to the starter more water. After it was repaired and I cranked it a lot of steam from the exhaust where the emissions plug is located so much in fact I thought she was on fire ... I have drained the oil twice and will inspect that again today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts