John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New to Gators, but not new to wrenching as I have worked as a hobbyist on bikes, hotrods, and planes for over 30 years. We live on 20 acres with woods, a 1500-ft lane, and a 2-acre pond, so a Gator made sense for some of our chores and plowing. Didn't want to spend high dollars (heck my 1975 Deere 400 tractor might get jealous), so I found a 2011 825i for about $5k. Needs some TLC, shifts hard, parking brake isn't connected, yada yada yada. Looking forward to seeing if I can bring some new life into this old girl.

If this forum is like many of the others I'm on for old Harleys and hotrods, I'm sure I'll be learning a lot.

Hobo

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Welcome Hobo...

Feel free to post often and photos are always appreciated!

There is lots of discussion on hard to shift issues. The search function works really well

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fix the other issues before the hard shift issue.

And since you bought it as a fixer upper id sent the clutch to mbdiagman or jd clutch doc as hes also called.
He can rebuild your clutch better than jd

Anyway the gas gators tend to have a hard shift from factory but it could also be related to high rpm.

Also, love the 400 series and 415 aswell, always makes me smile when one comes into the shop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fix the other issues before the hard shift issue.

And since you bought it as a fixer upper id sent the clutch to mbdiagman or jd clutch doc as hes also called.
He can rebuild your clutch better than jd

Anyway the gas gators tend to have a hard shift from factory but it could also be related to high rpm.

Also, love the 400 series and 415 aswell, always makes me smile when one comes into the shop
My 400 is my workhorse and I just had the two rear wheels blasted and powdercoated for some extra life. She does all the snow plowing on my long country lane, thanks to that good 'ole 54" hydraulic 4-way blade. A valve job and a new oil pressure gauge was my present to her this year...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah they are great, we have a customer with a 415 tho thats being used on light commercial work.
Bought it from new and still looks good, always maintained by our shop.

Hate to say it but i guess he should let it go though as my personal opinion is that these are getting too obsolete to be maintained by a dealership.
These guys need owners that can do the work themselves and maintain them properly as the cost goes up and the owner tends to leave things out due to cost over time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts