John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to inspect/blow out clutch. Have everything disassembled, snap ring off and drift pin out. Drive shaft will not slide off splines.

Any ideas? TIA

2012 JD 850i

·
Registered
371 Posts
Give it some persuasion with a ball pin at the rear of the shaft so it slides forward and clean everything and apply a little grease for reassembly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another thought if the drive shaft is sliding forward check the splined shaft at the transmission and make sure it's not sliding forward. If it is hold the drive shaft forward and push the rear splined shaft back into the transmission. Afterwards check the housing bearing for that shaft. I just went through this same situation the bearing was completely ate away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Getting a ball peen to the rear of the shaft won't be easy, perhaps from underneath. It's not sliding wont move at all!

·
Registered
371 Posts
You shouldn't have to bet the hell out of it. try a few taps around the front and the back to break it loose first then try giving it some hits from the back at the knuckle. If your leaving dents your hitting to hard. also try spraying it with penetrating fluid or wd40. There is a grease zert at the front shaft that I believe takes 1 shot every 100 hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, good. suggestions , Was thinking about the penetrating oil last night and I'd bet the grease fitting has never been used by previous owner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success!

Several applications of penetrating fluid, then tried persuasion. No joy. Wound up clamping a pair of curved jaw vise grips on the shaft (as light as possible) and tapping the grips with a hammer. A millimeter at a time but it finally slid free. Lots of corrosion to clean up, no surprise there.

Thanks for the advice, chiefwolf.

·
Registered
200 Posts
it is a bit of work to get at the clutch. You might want to just replace the belt since it is apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bit of work. I'll say but it's back together and all is good. Machine has low hours on it, belt looked very good !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts