John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please check your Transmission dipstick seal!

This is the Yellow plug next to the oil fill cap.

Changed the transmission oil today and dipstick tube had a big buildup of dirt/sand going down the tube. Yes, it was completely pushed in.

Just wanted to let everyone know in case theirs is the same way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can you post a pic off the seal where its affected. Mine feels snugg when I check it like it should. Just wanna be on the safe side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the 3 ribs that are the seal on the yellow plug that has the dipstick on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine also fits snug but evidently let's dirt and sand in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I rode in some pretty deep water this wknd and after the ride I checked all my fluids and apparently my trans dipstick allowed water into the trans because the fluid was really thin like it had water in it. I'm being told that after each service to apply a bit of gasket maker around the plug to ensure a good seal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rode in some pretty deep water this wknd and after the ride I checked all my fluids and apparently my trans dipstick allowed water into the trans because the fluid was really thin like it had water in it. I'm being told that after each service to apply a bit of gasket maker around the plug to ensure a good seal.
The trans fluid is very thin anyway. Good idea on the gasket maker tho. I have a small heavy ziploc type bag over mine with a zip tie. I don't submerge mine so I'm only worried about dust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts