John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 John Deere 6x4 diesel M-gator A1. The starter solenoid has been clicking and not starting. To make a long story short, I replaced the solenoid, the starter, and the batteries. Still no start.
BUT putting a jumper cable on the solenoid starts it!
So that rules out the starter and batteries. I purchased another solenoid and it clicks away. What should I check for?

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
Is the ground clean?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Check the wiring diagram for a starter relay. A corroded one will not provide the power needed, hence the chattering. If the relay is built into the solenoid, then apply +12 to the momentary terminal on the starter switch. If that works, I suspect a bad switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the wiring diagram for a starter relay. A corroded one will not provide the power needed, hence the chattering. If the relay is built into the solenoid, then apply +12 to the momentary terminal on the starter switch. If that works, I suspect a bad switch.
I know where the starter relay is, that is what I have already switched,
What switch are you referring to?

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
I have a pdf copy of the OEM Technical Manual for the 6x4, which I would be happy to share with you via Dropbox.

If interested please send me a PM with your email address.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
You say it clicks ….sounds like a poor cable connection somewhere. I have seen a battery acid work its way into a cable and cause corrosion issues and voltage drop. Some machines will have more than one ground cable too. Sometimes they have a cable that grounds frame to the engine etc. Check to make sure all are clean and tight.

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
You are welcome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say it clicks ….sounds like a poor cable connection somewhere. I have seen a battery acid work its way into a cable and cause corrosion issues and voltage drop. Some machines will have more than one ground cable too. Sometimes they have a cable that grounds frame to the engine etc. Check to make sure all are clean and tight.
everything seems very tight and clean! I spent a great deal of time cleaning the machine, lots of brake cleaner, carb cleaner and some mineral spirits

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I found that all the other relays are receiving 12v but the starter relay is receiving about half that at 6v. Also the ignition switch is also receiving half voltage. I cleaned everything very thoroughly. Also I found that the fuses are all wrong, whoever maintained the machine in the past put all the wrong fuses in. Could these be part of the problem? Although from what I can think of it must have had these fuses for about 2 years. What should I do about the half voltage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts