John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, Before I get told to search the forum for this, I have looked every way I know. My problem is the battery runs down after a few days sitting without running machine. The alternator is charging battery as long as running it is 13.5-14 vdc and I have replaced battery 2x. I am thinking it may be a reverse leaking voltage regulator. My question is anybody else had this problem?

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would try disconnecting the voltage regulator at the battery hook up a meter to it and look for a partial ground. if you are reading one pull the fuses one by one voltage regulator fuse last until it shows a open circuit. If you dont show a partial ground there disconnect the battery and check for partial ground there. once you find out what is grounding out trace out the wires and take apart all connections and reconnect after cleaning and using dielectric silicone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice, thanks! Was hoping someone had had this problem caused by the voltage regulator, I have seen this with cars, it is reverse current leakage through a diode. Have not went through isolating yet but that's my next step.

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
Good advice, thanks! Was hoping someone had had this problem caused by the voltage regulator, I have seen this with cars, it is reverse current leakage through a diode. Have not went through isolating yet but that's my next step.
Check video out ^^^ I think it outlines the very tests needed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well started by watching battery voltage as I didn't have current meter. when battery is disconnected voltage is steady at 12.77vdc for several hours. When connected, it dropped to 12.6 in just minutes so something is loading it. I spoke to john deere dealer service writer and he suspects voltage regulator also. Got a meter to measure current today so will test in next few day and will post results.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I found my parasitic power drain! The aftermarket radio I installed ! The yellow wire that connects to 12vdc that is hot all the time that holds the radios memory was drawing an arc and after disconnecting it my battery voltage is stable at 12.73 and has been that for several hours now! So I connected the red and yellow wires together and ran to an aux switch so I can use it when I want and disable when I want.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Stosh

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
Stosh- Great solution !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a new battery in my John Deere gator. It has worked fine for about a week. Now today it just went dead again. I charged the battery and it cranked and I ran it for about 30 minutes. I shut it off and it is completely dead. Why? What do I do?

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
I just put a new battery in my John Deere gator. It has worked fine for about a week. Now today it just went dead again. I charged the battery and it cranked and I ran it for about 30 minutes. I shut it off and it is completely dead. Why? What do I do?
Have verified the cables are not corroded and are secure on the battery terminals? Is your alternator functioning as it should ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
John Deere gator 590 battery tested good but drains every 2 or 3 days if not driven have a Harbour Frieght winch connected straight to battery . Could this be the problem? About to go crazy trying to figure out HELP

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
John Deere gator 590 battery tested good but drains every 2 or 3 days if not driven have a Harbour Frieght winch connected straight to battery . Could this be the problem? About to go crazy trying to figure out HELP
Yes, if an accessory if connected directly to the battery it will draw amperage. Did you install a contactor and switch?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts