John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so this past weekend i bought me back up light to go on the my 850i and after talking to one of my techs i finally found the little plug to. I will start a thread tonight on the light itselfs. but i have it wired so it will only come on when the gator is in reverse. but since i have added the wiring my battery will not go off. was on the trail when it came on and got back late. i did ride down the creek a lil ways but no water over the floor board. wondering if anybody else has had this problem. thanks for any info.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's the main 40 amp fuse on the front right side in the front storage container. It's not your addition of the light more than likely. If you do a search on the forum, you'll find a thread or two about it. When you remove the fuse, you'll notice it's starting to melt, but the actual fuse isn't blown. Your water crossing caused it to happen. The rear of this fuse box isn't sealed very well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im guessing i need to take the dash out in order to seal it up correctly??

·
Registered
146 Posts
First off, did you inspect the fuse, replace it, and did it shut the light off? If so, that's definitely the problem. I have kept a healthy supply of 40 amp fuses with me at all times. I used copious amounts of dielectric grease and it did no good. I finally broke down a couple of months ago and applied the extra expanding foam to the back side of the fuse box. Haven't fried a fuse since, but haven't run in much water. And no, you don't have to take the dash apart to see the back side of the fuse box. It's up above the right front tire. The actual fuse in my book has the description "voltage regulator". It's the right side fuse on the left side fuse bank. If you don't have a spare 40 amp, you could rob the 40 amp next to it to check.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the 40 amp next to it blow and i did inspect it and it looked fine but i will do it today at lunch. i brought it with me to the dealership today to inspect everything with the tech. thanks alot minshall!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
When my issue first developed a year or so ago, I also checked all fuses. It was melted so little I didn't even notice it. Plus, I was looking for a blown fuse, not a minute bit of melting. My machine finally failed to start. I was frustrated and took it to the dealer. They had it for a couple hours and called back to tell me it was a bad fuse. They showed me the fuse when I picked up the machine and it was substantially melted at that point (not blown). $75 service charge by the way. Anyway, I started keeping an eye on that fuse and as soon as the charge light would come on, I would inspect the fuse and you could see the plastic just beginning to melt at the point where the connector and plastic meet.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats exactly what the problem was!! i installed a new 40 amp fuse and it is charging great no more light i will find something to protect the back side of hose fuses tho

·
Registered
146 Posts
Glad that is all it was!!! As far as sealing, I squeezed about a whole tube of dielectric grease into the back side of that fuse bank and it didn't help at all.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea we sell some selicone that is pretty awesome so i might try that first. let me tell u y even tho my gator is under warranty i dont let techs do much work to it.. after talking to u yesterday and today about the problem i took it to work and had a tech (suppose to be my friend) correct the wiring so it would only come on with the key switch well then he tells my service manager that he fixed my battery light problem and that he looked everything up and he did all the work smh some people man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts