John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a big problem that started about 6 months ago on one of our older E Gators. The battery posts where the jumper cables bolt on are melting and then the bolt melts right out of the battery lead.

It has happened now with 4 batteries, including 1 brand new battery. The older ones are only about 2 years old. We have Trojan 105s for most of them, but the new replacements are of a different brand. The other two E gators we have do not have any issue with them.

Any ideas?

·
*In memory and respect- RIP*
4,314 Posts
This thread is really interesting, I don’t recall reading about or witnessing this issue.

I did a quick google search, apparently this is a big issue in the electric golf cart or buggy world.

All the information I found points to dirty terminals and or incorrect torque on the terminal cables.

So double check the torque and clean the wire terminals and see if that corrects the problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have made sure the terminals are extremely clean and have checked the tightness on the battery nuts, as I was thinking that might have been a problem.
Maybe the motor is drawing too high of amps? Anyone know what the amperage is supposed to be?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
While the battery to terminal might be clean, it's possible the terminal to wire is corroded causing high resistance. Have your tried doing a voltage drop test across the wires or measure the current draw?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Conduct a voltage drop test! Look up how to do it. There are some good videos how to test when under load.

Reactions: MBDiagMan

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Yes.lift wheels off ground.

The voltage drop test is done under load (higher current) along the wire paying attention to any drop. Along the length zero is the ideal drop but anything over 0.5 volts is a concern. Every wire junction needs to be checked.
The wire at the battery has:
Wire to electrical connector
Connector to battery post
to be checked for voltage drop.

without load placed on wiring, only one small strand is needed to measure battery voltage. Place this under load (high current) and a voltage drop test will indicate the issue.

voltage drop test is typically used to check starter circuit integrity and can uncover root cause in a few minutes.

without data suggestions are nothing more than guesses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts