John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 2007 TX model. I am up in years,(77) and need some assistance when raising the bed. Is there a way to mount a gas strut ? If anyone has done this, I would appreciate the details and any drawings they might have.
I found a picture searching the web. It shows a strut mounted on the same side as the safety rod, but give no dimensions or pressure requirements.
Can anyone help in this area ?
Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Some of other gators use an electric lift assist that makes life very easy. Not certain if one was ever made for you model, but this is the direction I'd go even if a bit of fabrication would be needed.

Within the last couple of months someone was selling a JD bed lift kit on the forum. Not saying this one will bolt on, but it should give you an idea what the design looks like.

Below added in EDIT:

Found it: http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gator-parts-products-sale/7817-825i-lift-cylinder.html

It looks like they make one for the TX. The Part Number is BM23734 and it is called an Actuator Kit.

You can find this by looking n jdparts.com. Entering TX in the model search and follow directions from there. The Actuator Kit is found in section 80 Frame, Wheels and Operator Station. You'll find details of both the powered lift and the gas spring you originally inquired about.

Gas cylinder is PN: AM137643 and the mounting ball studs are PN: M168188

PN's provide for convenience and I encourage you to double/triple check for accuracy.

AM137643 Gas Operated Cylinder $64.51
M168188 Ball Stud $5.20/each
BM23734 Actuator Lift Kit $821.76

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
Check out classifieds there is a 825i that is being parted out. I believe it has a bed lift with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I actually misquoted my age, I will turn 88 years, if I make it to July this year. I didn't want to spend any more big money right now, so the strut idea is good.
Thanks again, Jerry

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You could look up on JDPARTS.com and see if they are the same for the two models.

Report back what you find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One online retailer said if part is not listed for my model (hpx) it would not work.
Local Deere dealer said looks like might work with some modification (most likely drilling holes).
JD Parts guy said go with dealer.
Going to dealer (maybe after stay home period) to look at TX and HPX to compare bed setup.
Will report back.
Cant spend $900. for elec. actuator.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There are a number of actuators out there. Look for on with similar stroke and force (or higher). Some forum members have gone this route so search the forum to see what others have done. With a bit of planning and referencing the stock setup you should be able to do something for half the price.
Good luck and document your solution with pictures and P/Ns if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So we are clear, Part # AM137643 or AM145337 is a gas cylinder (app. $68) and 2 ball studs (M168188 $5.20 ea.)
Not considering linear actuator-even at 1/2 the JD price.
Bought trailer ramp assist for utility trailer (spring/cable) for $150. Saving my back. Not fancy, but works fine.
Would like to get specs on gas cylinder (lbs./stroke/length)but will gladly spend $75. if bed will lift even a little easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So we are clear, Part # AM137643 or AM145337 is a gas cylinder (app. $68) and 2 ball studs (M168188 $5.20 ea.)
Not considering linear actuator-even at 1/2 the JD price.
Bought trailer ramp assist for utility trailer (spring/cable) for $150. Saving my back. Not fancy, but works fine.
Would like to get specs on gas cylinder (lbs./stroke/length)but will gladly spend $75. if bed will lift even a little easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welded 1 1/4" steel between bed cross braces with 3 holes drilled approximately where top ball stub connects. Bolted bottom ball stud to existing hole in bed bracket.
Used gas cylinder AM145337 and corresponding ball studs and nuts.
No more straining-even wife can lift bed-we're both 70
Very simple fix.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution and glad it is meeting your needs.

Any chance of posting a few photos?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks for posting!

I'm certain it will help others down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts