John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was noticing while my machine was running I could see the belt rotating from behind, can’t water get in there and destroy the clutches??? I admit I don’t know a whole heck of a lot about these things, but aren’t they supposed to be sealed?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes water can get in as air flow is needed for cooling. If using in water it always a good idea to clean the area out. What do you think water is going to do to the clutches? Some corrosion on a few ferrous materials is likely, but I don't know if this meets your definition of Destroy.

Reactions: Undecided

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yes, the clutches should be kept dry and as clean as possible but they are designed to work out in the dirt and weather so you don't need to worry about it when generally driving about. When driving air is sucked in via a snorkel intake up behind the drivers seat and exhausted out the rear. When driving the flow of air keeps most bad stuff out. Problems usually come when driving through deep water or washing the Gator and you aim the hose up the clutch exhaust opening.

If you get water in the housing there is a drain on the bottom of the clutch housing. You have to reach up under to reach it but no tools are needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,428 Posts
Is there an after market box for this? Or possibly an enclosure for the square hole
Not that I have seen, you might be to reach out to Frogzskin they may have something that will fit or they can easily make one for you.

Reactions: Undecided
1 - 6 of 6 Posts