John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and glad to see it exist!

I suspect that on my last ride I blew up my belt drive. It made the same sound as with my sled when it does happen and my RSX went neutral.

Now on my sled I can quickly replace it and easy to locate. Any one could help me with my three questions ?
1- My machine has less than 1,000 miles. Ain't that early to happen?
2- I get conflicting info about its location. Below the driver seat or under the dumping cargo in the back.
3- Is it easy to replace ?

Thanks!
Wawaron

·
Registered
52 Posts
The belt is under the driver seat. It's quite the time consuming project to get to the clutches... Set aside a good 6-7 hours. There isn't anything hard about doing it but it's just a ton to take apart. While its apart I would throw in an EPI clutch kit! lol

·
Registered
709 Posts
No it's not too early. Thats moving a lot more weight than a sled does. I've replaced mine cause i smoked one, which can be easy to do, around 700 miles and replaced it.

It's not a fun things to replace but it's not terrible. Just takes time. Yes the clutches are located under the seat. Infact, if you lift up either one of the seats, you will see the clutch cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
87 hours and replacing my belt drive

Done ! Me and my friend just finished replacing my drive belt. 5 h 70$ For the belt. Hope this is not going to be happening every 90 hours ! Because I will reconsider keeping my RSX !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to Canada ! We all need to chip in for our social goodies! Health care, education, snow...

·
Registered
19 Posts
belt

I understand that if when you are driving slow and just easing around you must be in low gear or your belt will have to replaced all the time.....This is what dealer told me

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
they want you in low gear to keep the belt turning faster to allow the air flow to keep the temps down. if u r just creeping around in high gear the belt isnt getting enough air flow and it will cause the belt to overheat and wear down faster

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to hear you got it done! You may want to look into the drive belt temp guage from Team Alba Racing. I have one on my 850 & it's a great option to have. You really get a good feel for what can cause it to get hot and when and allows you to adjust to conditions to prevent damage. I think it was around $150.00 for the guage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts