John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that this has been discussed before (somewhere), but is there a replacement bulb for 825i headlights? Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
The stock bulb is an 886 at 50 watts. There are a bunch of LED replacement kits. I'd avoid the ones that are fan driven as they junk up with the mud/dirt. Can't remember the brand I'm running in my 855D but note they tend to last a year or so and start flickering. The headlight set on my 865R is a much better LED solution.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Although the Amazon lights will fit the socket, they are DRL/Fog and do not have the lumen output found in headlight bulbs. However, if it's good enough for what you do, great. Yes they are bright, but don't reach as far down the road as headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to say. The stock headlights are useless and throw no meaningful light at all. The LEDs I put in are without a doubt brighter and illuminate the ground in front of me better than the stock bulbs ever did. The headlights on these gators are pretty poor, If you need real light you need to add auxiliary lights

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who responded. I will keep on the lookout for a good retrofit for the stock headlights, but will probably add some additional lighting. It's most likely the best solution to the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts
Thanks to all who responded. I will keep on the lookout for a good retrofit for the stock headlights, but will probably add some additional lighting. It's most likely the best solution to the problem.

I purchased some projector type LED’s from the Green Part Store online. They work pretty well. $54.95 for a set.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I purchased some projector type LED’s from the Green Part Store online. They work pretty well. $54.95 for a set.

Brad, I’ve been looking at these. They appear to be “plug-n-play.” Is that true and are they a big improvement over the stock halogen bulbs?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Depending on the stock 881/886 etc. filament bulbs, they put out 800-1200 lumens. General automotive use of these bulbs are for daylight running lights and fog lamps. The JD LED is advertised at 3000 lumens. That is much more than the standard H1 bulb at around 1440 lumens. The higher end 886 LEDs made for headlights draw around 36 watts and put out 4-5000 lumens. So if the question is "are these better?", then yes. Are they the best? No, but you'll spend more. By more, you have to have external cooling which comes in either fans or braided heat sink flat wire. I have the flat wire stuff on my 855D. Some brands are poor in lifespan before flickering. I do like the regular fit without cooling systems as the mud takes a toll on fans and braided wire. Bottom line, more than double the lumen output for about triple the price. Not bad given getting light that makes a difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Depending on the stock 881/886 etc. filament bulbs, they put out 800-1200 lumens. General automotive use of these bulbs are for daylight running lights and fog lamps. The JD LED is advertised at 3000 lumens. That is much more than the standard H1 bulb at around 1440 lumens. The higher end 886 LEDs made for headlights draw around 36 watts and put out 4-5000 lumens. So if the question is "are these better?", then yes. Are they the best? No, but you'll spend more. By more, you have to have external cooling which comes in either fans or braided heat sink flat wire. I have the flat wire stuff on my 855D. Some brands are poor in lifespan before flickering. I do like the regular fit without cooling systems as the mud takes a toll on fans and braided wire. Bottom line, more than double the lumen output for about triple the price. Not bad given getting light that makes a difference.
Thanks, for the info., Seabee! I admit, I’m a sucker for improved illumination. Especially when it is “plug-n-play.” I might have to jump on these. I’m guessing if JD is selling them, the fit and quality is very good too.

The stock halogen bulbs are adequate, but aren’t very bright and are very yellow. Between these upgraded “bulbs” and the LED brush guard lights I already installed, I’d say my lighting needs would definitely be covered!

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts

Brad, I’ve been looking at these. They appear to be “plug-n-play.” Is that true and are they a big improvement over the stock halogen bulbs?

These lights are plug-n-play, the color is whiteish blue which is the norm for the lumen output.

In my opinion, they are a definite improvement over stock due to lumen output and light pattern, which provide a better flood pattern vs a spot pattern.

I have additional lighting installed as well when needed, including over head stock halogens, brush guard mounted “Hella” HID lights and factory grill mounted Projector lights.

Needless to say I’m light poor...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those lights look like good improvement over the stock lights on my 835M. I am assuming they will work on mine also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts