John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, no rolling of the eyes, please !! I know classic car folks use something on the rubber in their cars to keep it soft and supple. Is there any good reason to not use something greaslness on the boots to keep them from cracking ??? Just a thought !! Craig

·
Super Moderator
2,659 Posts
Good idea !

·
Registered
160 Posts
KY JELLY....................................................................................................................you know you all thought it..LOL...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Petroleum-based so it'll dry out the rubber and too "wet" which attracts dirt !! Sorry to burst your bubble and no, never thought of it !! Does remind me of an old joke however. Craig

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
armorall will keep any plastic or rubber shinny, and soak into the material to also keep it soft...just dont put it on floor mats as it is slippery as all heck and your feet will just slid around..
https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-10228-Original-Protectant/dp/B0007898UI/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1498047759&sr=1-2&keywords=armor+all
Perhaps the worst car care product line of all time !! Any tire guy will tell you it causes premature cracking as it dries out the rubber/vinyl. Don't let me dissuade you from using it - someone must as it's still a seemingly viable company !! Craig

·
Registered
160 Posts
armorall will keep any plastic or rubber shinny, and soak into the material to also keep it soft...just dont put it on floor mats as it is slippery as all heck and your feet will just slid around..
https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-10228-Original-Protectant/dp/B0007898UI/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1498047759&sr=1-2&keywords=armor+all
Perhaps the worst car care product line of all time !! Any tire guy will tell you it causes premature cracking as it dries out the rubber/vinyl. Don't let me dissuade you from using it - someone must as it's still a seemingly viable company !! Craig
sorry but after 35 plus years of using armorall I will disagree with you on that comment, maybe cheap chinese rubber that dries out no matter what, that is true, but not due to the armorall, I have brought back many old crusty vinyl seats and many other rubber and plastic pieces to usable condition with armorall...but if you want to post links to back up your claims , im always interested in more info..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Silicone spray(aerosol can), it seems to work on my enclosed trailer tires. I spray it on after I wash it and them reapply if trailer sits for awhile.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry but after 35 plus years of using armorall I will disagree with you on that comment, maybe cheap chinese rubber that dries out no matter what, that is true, but not due to the armorall, I have brought back many old crusty vinyl seats and many other rubber and plastic pieces to usable condition with armorall...but if you want to post links to back up your claims , im always interested in more info..
W/O spending more time at research than I care to spend, my source is/was an old friend who owned a 3rd generation Michelin distributorship. We were talking one day when I brought my car in for something and he volunteered that if I used it, I shouldn't as it would lead to premature cracking of the tires !! At that point, I didn't feel the need to know more. I respect your experience and it may be fine, I just choose not to use it based on his information. Craig

·
Registered
160 Posts
W/O spending more time at research than I care to spend, my source is/was an old friend who owned a 3rd generation Michelin distributorship. We were talking one day when I brought my car in for something and he volunteered that if I used it, I shouldn't as it would lead to premature cracking of the tires !! At that point, I didn't feel the need to know more. I respect your experience and it may be fine, I just choose not to use it based on his information. Craig
agreed, if you ask 10 people the same question you will probably get 10 different answers..I say what ever has been working good for that person, let them keep going with it.. to each there own and not to say one is wrong or not...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts