John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new cb radio and i was wondering how some of you guys went about wiring it up and so on any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
813 Posts
First decide if you want to be able to use it anytime or only when the ignition key is in the "on" position. That will tell you if you need to find a switched or always on source of power.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I know for most power for your CB signal, it needs to be straight to the battery. I would like it switchable if it was me also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe the 850i battery (TY25221) has a reserve capacity of 41 minutes so that means a fresh battery at room temp you can pull about 25 A for 41 minutes or 25 Amp-hours.

A CB may draw 3 or 4 amps so running a couple should not be a big deal for a good battery and starts well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if its hooked straight to the battery and it is turned off cb and gator it. Shouldn't kill the batery? Cuz my sits around for every pther weekend

·
Registered
813 Posts
Unless you hack your CB it's power consumption and output is limited. They are limited by law to 4w (carrier wave) and 12w (modulated wave) for a maximum total output of 16w. So, unless you're running an illegal power booster you don't need to go to the battery to power a CB.

I find it easiest to just remove the storage bin and the plastic "firewall" body panel which will give you easy access to the wiring behind the dash. Then with a volt meter you can check the unused connectors for one that has switched power.

Next you'll have to decide where you want the CB mounted. Up above where it's protected by the roof? Inside the glove box where it's out of sight and protected from the elements? Front & center on top of the dash where you have easy access of the controls? Personally I'd mount it to the top of the front ROPS bar. There are access holes connecting the side tubes of the ROPS to the horizontal members so they make natural conduits for running your wiring.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the dumb questions this is my first time wiring and was wondering what guage wire to use and how did you guys run it through the tubing? And if its not to much of a hassle can you give me a step by step how to do it with running it to a switch

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lets step back a few posts. I would think any CB would draw more amperage than 1.1851 amps! Thats 16 watts at 13.5v DC. A typical high end reciever radio will draw around 4 amps or more. Thats 54 watts at 13.5v DC. As for the switched or unswitched battery connection, thats your preference. However, most battery manufactures in the US manufacture batteries from recycled lead. Thats lead coming from the dead battery you had in your lawn mower three years ago! Recyled batteries WILL NOT hold up as long as a batteries manufactured with pure lead. Your battery is the heart if the electrical system. Every load source applied should be carried from the battery back to the battery. Not the frame or engine as a ground point. A GOOD electrical circuit has little resistance. Engine or frame connections ADD resistance. Yes i realize these components have need for grounds also. Odyssey makes a pure lead battery that will stand the test of time. With that being said, heat and vibration are the other killers of batteries. Batteries can heat excessively from engine temps or current loads. Also, no one ever does this, but a load that is switched on the ground will typically last longer. The electrons bouncing back and forth on positive side switched loads back up to the switch contact breaks and burn then over time. Reduced contact burns and longer switch life is gained by switching on ground side because the load uses more of the free electrons before they have a chance to burn the contacts breaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts