John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Looking to buy a brush hog-type attachment for my Gator 625. To be used mainly for maintaining 3-4 acres of field. I‘ve been paying to have it brush hogged and would like to start doing it myself. Mostly tall grass and weeds, but would like to have the option of being able to take down small saplings, Hawthorn bushes and the like. I’m looking for recommendations on what to consider. Pretty new at this so not particularly up to speed.

JD dealer told me that a bush hog type machine can be used with a gator. How does that work? How does it attach to the Gator and what drives the cutter? Or, am I better off with a tow-behind mower? I’m thinking a 5’ or so machine would be good for my needs. What else should I concern myself with?

Thank you very much ahead of time for any suggestions/tips!

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Hello all,

Looking to buy a brush hog-type attachment for my Gator 625. To be used mainly for maintaining 3-4 acres of field. I‘ve been paying to have it brush hogged and would like to start doing it myself. Mostly tall grass and weeds, but would like to have the option of being able to take down small saplings, Hawthorn bushes and the like. I’m looking for recommendations on what to consider. Pretty new at this so not particularly up to speed.

JD dealer told me that a bush hog type machine can be used with a gator. How does that work? How does it attach to the Gator and what drives the cutter? Or, am I better off with a tow-behind mower? I’m thinking a 5’ or so machine would be good for my needs. What else should I concern myself with?

Thank you very much ahead of time for any suggestions/tips!
There are manufacturers who make tow behind brush mowers, they are towed behind the Gator on the tow hitch and do have separate engines to power the mower blades.

Dr Power Mowers

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Having a medium duty 6' "brush hog" behind a 40+ HP Diesel tractor (Kubota L4240 cab), I'm going to suggest a 5' mower behind the 625 is going to be a significant stretch.

Power will have to be self-contained similar to the ones Mr. Bradhill suggested. There is no PTO from the Gator, nor would it have enough power to drive a conventional brush hog.

The blade size or mass of the blades on most cutters are significantly bigger than the ones used in the DR Power mowers. They might be capable, but they are going to be taxed when encountering saplings or brush.

You may also have a problem slowing the gator down enough with the way the CVT engages, especially when the grass is higher or saplings encountered.

Maybe someone will have firsthand experience countering my opinion and that is OK, but I wouldn't recommend it based on my experiences.

If you can keep the field closer to lawn status, the pull behind mowers may work to your satisfaction.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
To my knowledge none of the Gator models have a separate Power Take Off (PTO) feature that would be required to power any of the rotary/brush hog-style cutters. A Tow-behind separately powered mower would seem to be the only answer. I run a 5-foot Lowes brand rotary cutter but that requires a 35 HP 1953 vintage Ford 800 tractor. That rig will remove 3-4 foot high prairie grass/russian thistle but requires the blades to be re-sharpened annually or you will just mash the vegetation down not cut it off.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
So what did the OP purchase?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Thanks. Post back after you purchase or let us know you didn’t. I’ll be curious to learn how it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts