John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been an unseasonably cold winter hear in central Indiana and I was having problems with my breath condensing on the inside of the windshield causing fog and ICE to build up when it was zero degrees (or a little colder!!) outside. Looked at the few options that were available. There are a few kits available and inspected quite a few heater systems that the Polaris crowd are installing. Everything from Mr. Heater propane heaters to high dollar automotive type heaters with defrosters and fancy switches. Also, just had a friend that got a tricked out Ranger 900 with all the bells and whistles, including the polaris premium cab, full heater, power windows and heated seats!! The amount of money spent to make a UTV as confortable as a vehicle is outrageous!! I could buy a base model Jeep for what some people are spending.
Anyway, I digress. My rationale for a heater was to keep the cab warm enough so that I could enjoy a little heat and make sure that my own breath didn't fog or ice the windshield (by the way, I run a Mammoth Soft cab on my RSX). Anyway, I also didn't want to drill holes in the top of my dash for the defroster option because I love the fact that I can hose out my cab when I wash it!!
Long story short, I installed an Aqua Hot unit in my machine this weak and am so far relatively happyy. Relatively easy install and puts out a decent amount of heat once the engine is warmed up. It's the same heater Kolpin advertises except you can get it on Amazon for considerably cheaper. Not singing praises by any means after only 24 hours, but I thought I would start a thread since there aren't any yet posted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the intel. be sure to post up some pictures of your instal.

I dont ride much when its that cold but if I did, i would probably be the guy sticking his out around the window to see. :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True that!. Anyway, had a little time to play with the heater and have made a few observations. Lots of sealing needed to keep wind from the "firewall" from the cab. A bottle of extra-expanding spray foam, some weather stripping and a roll of Gorilla tape have done wonders.

Also, the gator takes longer to get up to temperature than I originally thought. The extra capacity in the system seems to make a big difference. I was complaining last summer about the engine running hot!! At 10 to 20 miles per hour I was producing decent heat a couple of days ago. However, once snow melted, I began to run at 30 or 40 miles per hour. The heater wouldn't put out much heat. I fabbed a cover for my grill out of some floor runner this afternoon and installed it with zip ties. Since it kept the cold air from cooling the system it made the heater really crank the BTU's inside the cab.

As for heaters in general, I'm pretty happy now that I blocked off my grill. There are some higher CFM heater fans advertised; however, unless your system is getting hot enough during the cold, a higher capacity CFM fan wouldn't do you any good.

DEFROST: As a novelty, I ordered a Hurrcane 12 volt accessory fan from Amazon. It comes mounted on a pretty sturdy alligatory clip and allows multi position adjustment. I clipped the fan on my center "oh sh*t" handle and am able to direct a high volume of air on my front, driver side, and passnger sid window at will. Pretty cheap, cost effective defroster fan!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
T I clipped the fan on my center "oh sh*t" handle and am able to direct a high volume of air on my front, driver side, and passnger sid window at will. Pretty cheap, cost effective defroster fan!!
What is the handle are referring to?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think he means the grab handle mounted beside the shifter.

May I ask where you got your soft sided cab and what kind of ballpark dollars it was, I'm tossing around the idea of a cab now that I got the tracks but I'm not sure about the full hard cab.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a link to the cab: John Deere 850i

There are other venders that sell the same thing if you google "cab for rsx850i". Price is around $400 for the soft doors only. I already had the windshield, top, and rear panel from Deere.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put a cab enclosure and heater from UTV cab enclosures on with the 2 piece Deere windshield and poly top. Also I put tractor interior foam in as a headliner and behind seat backs and over air filter box to insulate and seal the bottom of cab enclosure,,
Used the same1" thick foam in other places to seal and insulate the cab. I made aluminum panels and covered them with vinyl camo to match the hood to fill the openings in the doors. The 5000 btu heater came with a alum. Valve block to stop water flow to the heater during summer use. If the sun is out and it is 20 degrees the cab is tight enough you can run the fan on low. No sun and 25mph winds from the side and you will get some air around the doors but you will stay warm. I can't stress the importance of sealing up the places where air comes through, the cab interior foam works well, and looks good and makes the 850I where you can hear the radio! Since doing this work I have spent a lot of time this winter on the gator instead of looking at it in the garage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you post up some pics of your insulating and sealing work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I also have the Mammoth skins installed and love them. I also installed stainless panels into doors to keep wind out.

I like your heater idea and would love to see some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to work on some pics and figure out how to post. I'm stuck with an Ipad out here in the sticks for my internet and am a technological idiot!! Anyway, if you look behind the dash, there is already a bracket back there which I am assuming is for some type of heater that Deere eventually contemplated. I cut up 4 1/2" from the center of the dash (approximately 4 1/2" by 10" wide) and mounted the heater to the pre-existing mount. My heater points down at an approximate 30 degree angle to my floorboard.

As far as sealing the cab, it definitely ain't tight from the factory from J.D.!!! The doors can be sealed (mostly!!) with some automotive/marine weatherstripping from the hardware store (again, I'll try to work on some pics!). The lower hinge part is my only area causing problems, the rest can be sealed by weather stripping.

Finally, I hate to hijack my own thread, but am curious Popham as to your use of the cab insulation material. I have been a well known critic of the noise of this machine, and wondering how much the cab insulation has quietet things down. Especially installing the cab insulation on the poly top as a headliner. I currently have a couple of blankets stuffed behind the seats running the length of the cab and noticed a significant improvement in the reduction of cab noise. I was thinking about ordering some egg crate accoustic foam to place back there as well. Never even thought about cab foam!! Thanks for the idea!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good thread!!! I don't ride a whole lot in the winter, cause it is cold. Only time I ride is to hunt or at work. We ride on the weekends it gets in the upper 50s.

Only problem with cabs is all the mud from the lake bottom. Don't have to worry about sealing cause you want the air in the summer and you want water to get out, but its nice to seal the dust out for trail riding.

When we ride in the summer I will have mud everywhere. Its more user preference around here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya I guess if you could get a good enough heater to keep the windshield clear and take the chill off it wouldn't require so much sealing. With the tracks on I would like to do more winter riding but this year the temps have been down around -4F so it's a little to cold for riding where as most years the average temps are 20F so thats why I was thinking a soft cab for easy removal but the heater seemed a must to keep the windshield clear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts