John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use 625i around farm and do not usually run for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have deluxe cab and wanted heater, but did not like the $1500 price from JD and it would take too long to deliver heat.
I decided to add a 1000 watt inverter and install a two setting 120VAC electric heater.
Added an external 110V connector (similar to boat external power) to be able to power heater before starting engine. Since Inverter could not have reverse 110VAC, added a DPDT Relay to isolate household power or inverter to heater.
Now I can plug heater in before starting and heat cabin before driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice job..Does heater draw 1000 watts (or net 80+ amps to battery). It could drain the battery quickly if not running and even if running. The 625i has a 30A? alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max Heater power Draw

The heater is a 1200 Watt heater with 4 wired elements and Hi/Lo settings. I disconnected one of the elements so it draws 400 Watts on Low and 800 watts on high (measured).
When on household power, I run on high to warm the cabin before departing, on Gator power I run on low. I recognize it is above alternator 300 watts. I usually do not travel more than 1 mile or so. If it draws the battery excessively, you could upgrade to 75 amp alternator, but that costs $400.
So far, has no effect on battery reserve.
One item, the Inverter continues to draw a small amount of power (0.5 amp) to keep alive; it will shut off if battery gets to 10V, so you should shut down when not running Gator. I am about to add a dash light to indicate when Inverter is powered, so I remember to turn it off. You could wire it only on with ignition, but then using inverter to run tools would be a pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts