John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing an XUV 550 s4 Gator but I am concerned the 16 hp engine may not pull 4 people comfortably on uphill trails. I don't need to go fast but just want to move steadily up the trail without having to charge and gun the engine to make it up. Can anyone PLEASE tell me if they have experience with this issue and if the 550 s4 did the job? Desperate to make a decision soon!! THANKS!!!!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a 550S4 and we used it on the a pipeline project that went from Vicksburg, MS all the way to Butler, AL. We always had 3 ppl in it and at the end had 4 ppl in it, with 3 BIG ppl. It did fine. They only thing I wished was a little different was a little more ground clearance, but if you drive it right, it did just fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gator XUV 550 S4

I have carried 4 people through very deep sand with no problem. I live on the beach and the dunes are restricted because they serve as a barrier for hurricanes. I take people all over with it with no problem. I haven't had a problem with the 9.5" clearence but I wish it was higher. I was thinking about cranking up the shocks but I'm not sure what that would do to the ride. My neighbors have a Jeep and they say the Gator rides much better. I would hate to ruin that :eek:) Also I'm impressed on how much it can carrie my neighbor barrowed it to move some rock and brick. My little toy is a work horse and can move some weight.

·
Registered
904 Posts
We have our shocks cranked all the way up and can not tell a difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the info Batman how much extra height does that give you.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think I might have 11" max. I might be wrong, I would have to look.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had four people in mine and my dog it will go up a hill but it is slow. When going up hills you will really be reminded that it is only 16 hp. But when you are driving on flat ground four people in it isn't that noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts