John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have some hunting buddies that have gotten cheap light bars off eBay. They looked OK and produced decent light but I have seen a couple that leaked. The lights still worked at least when I saw them but the interior of the lenses were fogging up heavily.

I like Rigid Industries lights. They are not cheap but they are good. Side by side with the cheaper lights the Rigid ones are brighter though it's difficult to tell if it was an apples to apples comparison as the "specs" for their lights were rather dodgy.

I do not like one light bar for off road use. The spot driving lights focus too much light into a narrow, long range beam making it difficult to see curving and hilly trails. Hybrid bars with a mixture of flood and spot emitters are pretty decent but still put most of the light in a 40 degree cone in front (about 20 degrees to either side of center) which is OK for road driving and off road at high speed when you are not cornering sharp. For truly off road, picking through sharp turning farm roads and forest trails I like a lot of light out to the sides.

I've replaced the stock headlight bulbs with high output LED's and I've got a single Rigid SR hybrid light bar in the center and Rigid Dually floods on the roof corners aimed outwards at about 30 degrees. This combination provides a bright long range center for higher speeds on roads and strong general illumination to 90 degrees on both sides so the entire front 180 is illuminated. When driving on or beside roads I have to remember to turn off the roof lights because they are blinding to oncoming cars.

Don't forget about the back side. If you're out in the bush and need to reverse you'll want good, broad flood lighting to the rear. I have a cheap daylight running light kit mounted to each back corner of the roof. The multiple LED's present a bar of light instead of one blinding pinpoint of light so it's a bit easier on the eyes when using them as work lights.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some hunting buddies that have gotten cheap light bars off eBay. They looked OK and produced decent light but I have seen a couple that leaked. The lights still worked at least when I saw them but the interior of the lenses were fogging up heavily.

I like Rigid Industries lights. They are not cheap but they are good. Side by side with the cheaper lights the Rigid ones are brighter though it's difficult to tell if it was an apples to apples comparison as the "sptecs" for their lights were rather dodgy.

I do not like one light bar for off road use. The spot driving lights focus too much light into a narrow, long range beam making it difficult to see curving and hilly trails. Hybrid bars with a mixture of flood and spot emitters are pretty decent but still put most of the light in a 40 degree cone in front (about 20 degrees to either side of center) which is OK for road driving and off road at high speed when you are not cornering sharp. For truly off road, picking through sharp turning farm roads and forest trails I like a lot of light out to the sides.

I've replaced the stock headlight bulbs with high output LED's and I've got a single Rigid SR hybrid light bar in the center and Rigid Dually floods on the roof corners aimed outwards at about 30 degrees. This combination provides a bright long range center for higher speeds on roads and strong general illumination to 90 degrees on both sides so the entire front 180 is illuminated. When driving on or beside roads I have to remember to turn off the roof lights because they are blinding to oncoming cars.

Don't forget about the back side. If you're out in the bush and need to reverse you'll want good, broad flood lighting to the rear. I have a cheap daylight running light kit mounted to each back corner of the roof. The multiple LED's present a bar of light instead of one blinding pinpoint of light so it's a bit easier on the eyes when using them as work lights.

where did you get your high output leds to replace the halogens

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think I ordered them from SuperBrightLEDs.com Unfortunately I ordered them so long ago I no longer have the confirmation E-mail to give you the item number.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I ordered them from SuperBrightLEDs.com Unfortunately I ordered them so long ago I no longer have the confirmation E-mail to give you the item number.
do you remember what wattage yours are and stuff and im not finding any high power ones in the 881 isnt that what runs in the rsx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts