John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On all these winch's coming out of China are most of these coming from the same manufacture with a different sticker ? I've been looking at several winch's so far I leaning towards a Viper Elite. What is the most important thing to look for when buying a winch, horsepower or gear ratio or something else? I see some company's advertise a lot of hp like Smittybuilt with a ton of gear ratio and some with little hp with a ratio of 136 to 1. And I see some that looks like they have a motor and the spool with nothing to the right of the spool I imagine this would be the clutch.

Now I don't know a thing about winch's and have never owned one but when I look at these winch's made in China I see the price going for next to nothing to getting right up there close to a Warn. What I don't want to do is buy a Chinese winch at the upper end of the price structure to find out I could have bought the same winch under a different manufacture for $200 less someplace else. So I hope some of you fine members can set me on the right path, thank you.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Head over to Harbor Freight... they carry a Badland winch... looks very close to a major name brand... and far less expensive.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have always been a Warn fan, and I have a Warn XT30 out of my old ATV that I am going to put in the gator.

The way things are made now-a-days they are probably almost all identical. Also with money being tight also, I would not mind trying out the cheaper winch. When I get ready for one on my RZR, if they have a 4000lb, I might have to get it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't go cheap on a winch if you ride long distances or in very remote country or even ride alone. This is one of those items that you don't use all that often but when you do need it........
On the cheap end the viper by motoaliance is an OK winch. I've not had one fail but its quality is not that of a Warn IMO. What is nice is the owner of that company stands behind that product with no questions asked. I had a solenoid that was draining the battery overnight and they replaced the entire winch and solenoid.
On the high side you have a Warn. some of their models are great winches and they come at a premium price. SuperWinch is also a good winch but pay attention to the specs. The 4500lb for example is the exact same HP as the 3500lb but the reduction ratio is greater and line speed is pretty low. In this case your better off getting the 3500lb winch and using a snatch block to double its pulling power for instances where you really need it. Without the snatch block you enjoy faster line speed on the 3500.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im not winch expert and my only experience is with WARN. I have done a lot of things with those winches and never had any issue. (plowing, getting un-stuck, pulling stumps, pulling cars out of ditches)

My dad had a cheap harbor freight winch on his Grizzly. I seen him use to get un-stuck once and it worked just as you would expect but it seemed like it was giving all it had to pull.

Material, Gearing and the type of internal breaks are the key factors.

If you just need a security blanket for a once in a while "oh shit" momemnt you would prabably be ok with a ChiCom knock off. If you plan on using it on a regular basis... buy once and cry once.

ETA: A close second would be SuperWinch(as stated above). Check Amazon for decent pricing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought the Superwinch Terra 4500 for my gator.

I really eyed the Warn a lot but after info a lot of research the Superwinch seemed to be the better designed product (large motor, construction, etc) and it costs less. Everything I found gave great reports on reliability. It was not that expensive but really did not price the cheap ones since I was after good reputation, installation/bracket, post-sales support, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts