John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I recently tried to replace my clutch on my hpx gator and the clutch bolt broke off in the crankshaft.i have the clutch off and can see that the bolt has broken off flush with the crankshaft and was just wondering if anyone my know some sort of special magic trick to get it out.thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Yeah I'm guessing whoever worked on it before me had it torqued way to much
Damn, and here I thought we solved your problems with the puller... Sorry to hear it. Agree with MichaelB, drill it and use an extractor BUT, if it's that tightly stuck in there you probably need to get some spray lube into the threads. If you plan to re-use your existing belt, get it out of the area first, you don't want to get any overspray it. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
😀😁 broken bolt is out and new clutch is on.want to thank everyone here for there support and advice including some friends here back home. gonna rest up and finish putting everything back on that had to come off tomorrow.cheers 🍻and thanks again!!!!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
😀😁 broken bolt is out and new clutch is on.want to thank everyone here for there support and advice including some friends here back home. gonna rest up and finish putting everything back on that had to come off tomorrow.cheers 🍻and thanks again!!!!
Well played, congrats!

·
Super Moderator
780 Posts
Bob, do you mean the bolt has broken 4 times, or the clutch has failed four times. i can’t do anything about the bolts from here, but I can permanently fix the clutch if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bob, do you mean the bolt has broken 4 times, or the clutch has failed four times. i can’t do anything about the bolts from here, but I can permanently fix the clutch if needed.
Hi Thanks for answering, The bolt that holds the clutch to the crank shaft is the one that breaks. I have seen other posts of the same thing. Deere could have not had this problem if they would have just put a spring in there to lower engagement pressure.

·
Super Moderator
780 Posts
I’ve reconditioned more than a thousand Gator clutches and have not heard of the c3nter bolt breaking Bebe. I expect that it has been overtorqued. It is a long bolt and only needs to be snugged for 3nough pressure to seat the taper. As little as 10 foot pounds would probably do the job.

Have you gone through four clutches on this machine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts