John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Called EPI Clutching because it was hard for me to believe that NO ONE has made a clutch kit for the RSX's.

THEY DO HAVE ONE! They told me that it would remove that dead spot around 30, and DRAMATICALLY improve the overall powerband! It doesnt change the top speed (because that's electronically controlled) but it would get you to top speed a LOT quicker!

I just ordered it, so we'll see what it does!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if you are running 30 and stomp on the machine, it acts like it's underpowered. It's like the clutch is designed to get you to 30 and then falls back a bit.

The kit i believe was 190 bucks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree. Between 30 and 45 my machine revs, just doesn't accelerate very well. Keep us updated when you get it installed!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Subscribed to this thread!!!!!!!! I am definitely interested in hearing about this kit. Have fun tearing about the cab to change the clutch. I will have to say that is a big FAIL in Deeres book. I like how everything looks and how it is put together, but they need the belt drive to have a lot easier access.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the sad things is, i just had that all torn down to replace my belt not a week ago, and will have to do it again...oh well i will keep everyone aprised and snap some pics.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes info and pics needed!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, dropping the driveshaft to change a belt is not good engineering. It would be a hell of a job on the trail.

Subscribed to this thread!!!!!!!! I am definitely interested in hearing about this kit. Have fun tearing about the cab to change the clutch. I will have to say that is a big FAIL in Deeres book. I like how everything looks and how it is put together, but they need the belt drive to have a lot easier access.

·
Registered
904 Posts
That's not really the problem for me Timmi, it's all the plastic that's in the way to get to that point.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My RZR XP 900 is a breeze to change.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So who is going to be the first one to test? Is this kit a good one? If so I might jump in feet first.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looks like DeereSales101 is gonna be the test dummy.

Timmi, the RZR XP900's belt/clutches are easy to get to.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea mine is ordered and on the way! I am hoping it will be there today or tomorrow.

It looks REALLY simple to do. The guy said it was almost like the polaris clutches. Watched a couple of their videos and looks pretty easy!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clutch kit came in! It's a Helix and two springs. Weights stay the same. I am going to install it this weekend.

It says in the installation paper work (which is very extensive, which i like) that it brings the engagement up to 2100-2200 rpm. i think mine is at about 1850-1950. Is that what everyone else is experiencing?

Im gonna do a couple of runs stock and measure time and distance to get to top speed then do the same thing with the clutch conversion.

Im excited!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

Thanks

Clutch kit came in! It's a Helix and two springs. Weights stay the same. I am going to install it this weekend.

It says in the installation paper work (which is very extensive, which i like) that it brings the engagement up to 2100-2200 rpm. i think mine is at about 1850-1950. Is that what everyone else is experiencing?

Im gonna do a couple of runs stock and measure time and distance to get to top speed then do the same thing with the clutch conversion.

Im excited!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the Clutch Kit is installed! A couple of things about the kit.

The instructions were EXTREMELY detailed and easy to follow. They actually had some better ways of doing the tear down than what John Deere says in their operators manual. It gives you list of tools you will need and goes step by step. I really like that. Also, if you haven't had any experience with EPI Clutching, they color code their springs, which is very helpful.

Pros of the kit:
You do notice an increase in the hole shot to about 35 mph. It almost like nailing it in Low Range but it's in High. I never tried low range to see if it just throws you back in the seat more than the stock clutching.

Traveling about 30 mph, and then putting the throttle to the floor, i did notice that it hit top speed a lot quicker than with the stock parts.

Cons:
The forward clutch engagement does raise to about 2200 rpms but it's not jerky at all. It's still a nice smooth engagement. HOWEVER, the REVERSE engagement is very jerky. It reminds me of an RZR going in reverse. They do offer a different spring if you dont like the engagement that high. It says in the instructions that the "AMBER" spring will lower that engagement about 200 rpms.

Overall, i noticed a semi-dramatic difference! Is it scare the shit out of you difference, no. But it is quite noticeable. I have not done the final test to see how much quicker i get to top speed as i did not do this project at home. I will let everyone know what i find on that.

If you have any questions at all, please ask!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sounds like a good investment. Have you done any pulling or a full day of riding yet?

What is the difference in there way of tearing down vs deere?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts