John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with epi's 27-28 inch sport or 28-29.5 inch mud clutch kits?!?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been wondering if I could get a clutch kit to make mine take off a little smother. I would like to have info on these kits as to what they do and how they react.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I thought clutch kits normally raised the rpm that the clutch engages at. Therefore possibly making it take off harder than normal

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of my friends has an EPI mudder kit on his Ranger. I absolutely hate it. Not sure how the Rsx would react with it, but his requires a lot of throttle just to make it move.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought clutch kits normally raised the rpm that the clutch engages at. Therefore possibly making it take off harder than normal
Kinda. They don't have to and they can change performance for the better.
The spring pressure in secondary in comparison to the ramp angles can vastly change the performance. By changing the helix and spring it changes how long and how much speed it takes to shift it apart allowing it to go faster.

then spring pressure in the primary in combination with the weights decides how fast and hard it engages. Then how hard it grips the belt under load. And if the 2 don't agree with each other to a certain degree either the primary will out shift the secondary or the secondary won't allow the primary to shift fast enough. Meaning it can go straight to "high gear" or the take a while to shift to high and it sound like its winding out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my friends has an EPI mudder kit on his Ranger. I absolutely hate it. Not sure how the Rsx would react with it, but his requires a lot of throttle just to make it move.
That's what I was wondering if the spring they put in the primary would be that aggressive or not in that kit

·
Registered
159 Posts
From what I hear kits aren't near as effective as complete aftermarket clutches. Much more costly, but you do get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts