John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site, from Kentucky. I have a 2013 gator 825i. Always been hard to shift. Broke the shift lever twice over the years. Was wanting to know how to separate the outer part of clutch from the inner part. Does it just screw off? I have the clutch completely off the gator now. And what is the torque required when putting clutch back on. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
First you have to take the clutch cover off while contending with the return spring. The spring is still under pressure when the cover bolts release. I've used threaded rod to act as a spring compressor.

The spyder needs to be unthreaded and will require special tools or fabricating something to hold while turning. It will take considerable effort to remove.

Not certain about the torque for the clutch retaining bolt as I have a different model. I'm certain someone will chime in with the value.

Forum member MBDiagMan has been fixing clutches for forum members for some time now. Posted feedback is very favorable and the results seem to be long lasting. You'll find many posts about the subject and his involvement on this site.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I was going to try and add a spacer so the clutch would disengage so it would be easier to shift. Do u think that would fix the hard shift?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If it shifts into forward or reverse easily with the engine off the primary clutch is likely sticking. I would not be adding any spacers. The problem is from too much friction with the buttons and post/tower.

Perhaps try cleaning clutch real well with brake cleaner to see if removing all the dust makes things any better.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
I just noticed something on the clutch. Their is a plastic ring that is just sliding back and forth on the inside of clutch inside of the spring. Not sure if u can see in pics. Do u know if this is normal.
Yes this is normal, this spacer is referred to as a “shift stop” which keeps the belt from over traveling on the sheaves.

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was going to try and add a spacer so the clutch would disengage so it would be easier to shift. Do u think that would fix the hard shift?
There have been YouTube videos regarding adding spacers to the primary doing so will not correct the root cause of a sticking primary and will likely degrade the performance of the clutch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
make sure your secondary is running true to the primary, at rest there should be equal space on each side of the belt on the primary. Unscrew the spider and the faces will come apart, believe the spider is torqued at 100ftlbs, not to bad but you'll need a clutch holding fixture of some type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts