John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2012 XUV550S4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, did a quick search and came up empty handed making me think this is just slow.

I sold my Kawi Teryx to buy this 2012 550S4 to be able to take the kids. Me and my wife do some long day trail rides and back roads. This past weekend we did a 250km ride on a Saturday and after some mechanical trouble (shift cables froze and snapped gear lever then to have water in the fuel) we carried on. It’s the first time I got to use this machine in the snow and with a couple inches of snow on the roads this thing is pathetic. On gravel roads I can carry 40-55km/hr no problem but I had to fight to get it over 25km/hr with just a little snow on the roads. I also notice this issue in hills when approaching at top speed by the time I reach the top of the hill I am at 25-30km/hr.
I bought this machine in August with a blown engine and installed a new engine right from Deere so I did not think I needed to make any adjustments to the Governor. Is this a possible culprit or should I be looking to clean up the clutches? Or is this thing just extremely underpowered?

I appreciate the help, I would prefer to keep this machine as it is well built and exactly what we need. Thanks!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

· Registered
2,936 Posts
I believe you only have 16 horsepower so it might be delivering what it can. With my 20+HP diesel it loses a good bit of speed on hills.
It’s always worth verifying everything is set correctly and functioning properly.

· Registered
2012 XUV550S4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a bit hard to comprehend the difference of a comparable size machine in other brands.
The 550 is actually a 570.. JD says it’s 16 HP but B&S is saying 18. I don’t know what to believe anymore LOL

· Registered
2,936 Posts
If you’re willing to take the consequences of turning up the governor a bit, why not? It might provide what you are looking for and yield a better experience. Just watch going too far 😂

Reactions: NewfieGator

· Registered
70 Posts
First post, did a quick search and came up empty handed making me think this is just slow.

I sold my Kawi Teryx to buy this 2012 550S4 to be able to take the kids. Me and my wife do some long day trail rides and back roads. This past weekend we did a 250km ride on a Saturday and after some mechanical trouble (shift cables froze and snapped gear lever then to have water in the fuel) we carried on. It’s the first time I got to use this machine in the snow and with a couple inches of snow on the roads this thing is pathetic. On gravel roads I can carry 40-55km/hr no problem but I had to fight to get it over 25km/hr with just a little snow on the roads. I also notice this issue in hills when approaching at top speed by the time I reach the top of the hill I am at 25-30km/hr.
I bought this machine in August with a blown engine and installed a new engine right from Deere so I did not think I needed to make any adjustments to the Governor. Is this a possible culprit or should I be looking to clean up the clutches? Or is this thing just extremely underpowered?

I appreciate the help, I would prefer to keep this machine as it is well built and exactly what we need. Thanks!
View attachment 15925
i had a two seat 2012 XUV 550 and the most I usually good get it to was 40 kph, and that was flat with one person in it. BTW getting to the governor is a big pain, you are pulling alot of parts off to get to it. Just my past experience working on the carb..............

· Registered
70 Posts
i had a two seat 2012 XUV 550 and the most I usually good get it to was 40 kph, and that was flat with one person in it. BTW getting to the governor is a big pain, you are pulling alot of parts off to get to it. Just my past experience working on the carb..............
I should also added, the 2012 shift cables were notorious for freezing up. JD did come up with updated cables to take care of it.

· Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
1,073 Posts
I would be cautious about changing or removing the governor. That Briggs engine used in every other application has a max rpm of 3'600. Deere sets it to 4'100 so it's already "turning faster". My guess is a connecting rod would be the first thing to fail leading to serious engine damage. I would consider going to higher RPM's if I knew Deere used forged or billet connecting rods (I've not been inside the engine to look) but if they are cast I would not run the engine any faster.

If turning up the governor I see the fuel supply as a problem. Deere used a really small, crappy carburetor so I think that will be a big limit to getting more power. It simply can't provide more fuel to the engine. You might get the engine to turn faster under light load but I'm not sure you'd get a useful increase in horsepower for lugging up hills. You can re-jet or drill out the high speed jet in the carb but the tiny throat size will limit airflow so I think it's a dead end. The exhaust (headers & muffler) can handle more flow but I'd go with an aftermarket carb if trying to get more out of that engine.

---
I replaced the Briggs engine in my 550 with a Honda GX-630. It lowered my top speed slightly but I have MUCH more power/torque for climbing hills.

· Registered
2015 John Deere XUV550 (olive/black)
26 Posts
I think the dealerships will replace the old cables with the redesigned ones at no charge- have them run your serial number to verify if there is a PIP [product improvement program) For yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts