John Deere Gator Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
There is a lot of information archived on this forum about modifying 855D weights for use in an 825i clutch. I modified a set of weights and experimented with them. I was very disappointed in the results, but others might like the results since we are all different with different needs.

Search "clutch" or "weights" and it should be easy to find the threads. I have a thread bookmarked on one of my computers at work. I will try to remember to attach a link today.

I have no idea whether or not the tapers are the same.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Have you tried the adjustable weights from Team Aftermarket? Maybe weigh a set of diesel and gas weights and pick something who's weight range is in between.

·
Registered
633 Posts
kinze, Please post the results of your clutch change for all of us to learn from. Particularly please confirm or deny that the taper is the same and they can be interchanged.

I know that the web and/or the spider of the diesel clutch is different to accommodate the different weights, but I don't know about any other differences.

Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the good information dluck. I have encountered some of the pushback from Team that you describe.

I have yet to tear into a secondary clutch. A kind forum member here sent me one for exploratory surgery, so when I get to that point, your info will be very helpful.

Also, I have been confused when reading about clutch changes in an 825i, make for a 50MPH top speed. From everything I have been able to determine with various clutch experiments in my own, the 44MPH seems to be governed by the computer, regardless of the clutch combination installed.

Still more, I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those TEAM aftermarket clutches and take it apart to see if it really does have a better wear fit than the regular off the shelf JD clutches. Honestly, if it does, I will be surprised. I have read that people have had trouble with those also.
I am not sure how they got the 50 MPH in the video. I forgot to mention, in the 2014 Team Aftermarket catalog they clearly stated that the clutch for the 50 MPH speed was the factory 2013 primary. Also, I doubt there is any difference between the Team products and the John Deere clutch, come out of the same factory. The big difference between non-Tied and tied is going to be the action of the helix and how it works in up shifting and back shifting. The 2013 gator 825i secondary is a Team Tied with helix. No doubt the same as the other Team products.

Keep up the good work on the clutches!!! As gator owners we can now finally tune our gators the way we want them, and not the way JD Corporate wants them!

Looking at the factory clutching and watching it run through it's shift while in neutral...the belt is not coming all the way to the top of the primary.

There will be some sort of mechanical limit built into the clutch keeping is from closing all the way. I have taken apart earlier gator clutches and done some light machining allowing the belt to climb to the top and it is a quick and easy way to achieve higher speeds.

I suspect this is why the clutch from Team is getting higher speeds...by increasing the final drive ratio.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That makes perfect sense. What puzzles me is that somewhere along the way I got the impression that the 44MPH limit was governed by the computer and when driving with full throttle at 44MPH and observing the tach and speedo it appears that way. How it appears and how it actually is could of course be something different so the secondary clutch theory sounds valid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is NO speed limit...only a RPM limit.
That is why in low it is also limited to 6000/6100rpm at a completely different speed.

You could change the ratio and go any speed you want as long as the motor was running under it's rpm limit.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
im just curious Kinze as me and Doc have had this convo before but if you change the ratio u will loose your torque to get top end. but if wat u r saying is correct then its possible to get more speed with the factory clutch and allow the belt to get full motion to the top and bottom of the clutch? meaning that a RSX could potently run faster than they say

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Is the clutch shimmed wider than needed? This would allow extra free space on the side of the belt at idle which might help disengagement but then might cause it to run out of travel at the top end. Or, is there some sort of stop that you machine down to get the extra travel?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am curious about the same thing Dane.

I have an 825i clutch that I fitted and put together. It's the only 825i clutch I have on hand. Even though I have already loctited it, I am tempted to take it apart to explore what might be preventing full closure. If it weren't so blasted hot in my sweat box shop, I would go do that this afternoon.

When I experimented with the modified diesel weights in a gas engine clutch, I had a limited top end. The diesel weights are so much thicker that they may have had something to do with it, but I really don't think so.

When it gets below 100 degrees in the shop, I might just slip the cover and the spring out of the clutch I have ready to go, just to see what limits travel. I have a new belt that I bought for setting up belt gap, I should be able to use it to tell how far from full closure it is limited to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently ordered the weight set and spring for the 855D from the awesome supplier mentioned, previously.

I ordered one of AM140452, assuming it was a "set of three". When the package arrived, there was only one weight in the bag. I figured it was my mistake, and that the low, low price was for a single weight, which would still be a pretty good deal, IMO. So, I ordered two more of AM140452. When that package arrived, it contained two "sets of three".

Oh, and that awesome supplier is not only refunding the purchase price of the original (short) set of weights, but is, also, refunding the shipping for the second order. I'm not good at math, but I may have made money on this deal!

Now, I have four extra weights. If anybody wants them, I'm sure we can work out a deal on getting them to you.

I probably won't get to install the weights and spring, this weekend, but I'll report the results, as soon as I get to it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I did the same thing a year or so ago. The price was too good to be true, so I thought that it must be one weight to a package, so I ended up with extras. At the time, I thought I was going to modify them as shown on this forum and use them on various customer clutches, but they didn't work out in my clutch. I think that doing the weight mod and then using them in the early model 825i clutch might have merit. If I ever get my hands on an early clutch I will give it a try.

It seems that there are not many early clutches available on the used market. The ones that were not fitted properly, seemed to be replaced by the later clutches under warranty, and Deere took the old ones out of circulation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installed both 855 clutches on the 825 and the results were amazing.

The machine climbs to adequate speeds without the loud exhaust noise...way better than stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a plastic bushing that can be removed and you can get a lot higher top speed...the only thing I need is a slightly longer belt to make this work.

I will figure this out in a few days.

If I can acquire the proper belt length...I suspect 50+ mph is easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes...the taper is the same on both the 825 and 855.
All the clutches are interchangeable...both these machines use the Team Tied clutches and are new.
I found (so far) the best combo to be the 855 primary with the 825 secondary.

I also removed the plastic spacer/bushing in the primary and used the belt (PN M158267) from a 620i and now I get 47/48 mph instead of 44 mph.

The low speeds now do not require the LOUD hi revs and it is nice and quiet like a golf cart.

I am still messing around with different components to see if I can improve it further.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There is a plastic bushing that can be removed and you can get a lot higher top speed...the only thing I need is a slightly longer belt to make this work.

I will figure this out in a few days.

If I can acquire the proper belt length...I suspect 50+ mph is easy.
I shall do some research and get u a couple of belt lengths when I get back to work

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 96 Posts