John Deere Gator Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 855D (diesel XUV) and I hate the way the clutch just all of a sudden engages. I always feel like I'm waiting for something to break when it does that. It has been like this since the day it was new. at first I thought it would get better with time, but it never has. It has not gotten worse either though. Other than that it seems to work fine, and I have not had any issues with it sticking. I also have a Polaris ATV, and have driven several peoples other brands of UTV's that use a similar style clutch system and they operate much more smoothly than mine does. Is this a common problem that a little tuning can fix?
P.S. engine RPM is about 1500 when you get your neck snapped, and it doesn't matter how easy you are on the throttle.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Although the 855D clutch is very much like the 825i, to accommodate the much different torque curve, the weights are shaped significantly different. The result is the sudden engagement you describe. There is not much that can be done about it. That said, if it is changing, there is something going on. It probably needs to come apart and be inspected.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Trying to find contact info for Doc the clutch guy, that's who you sent yours to right? If you could give me the info that would be great thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I worked through Bradhill.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Hi, Trying to find contact info for Doc the clutch guy, that's who you sent yours to right? If you could give me the info that would be great thanks.

PM Sent on behalf of JD Clutch Doc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, just installed my re worked clutch from Doc and Brad, full tune-up plus the Venom kit to lower RPM etc. Installed yesterday morn, very pleased, excellent service and very quick turnaround, basically one week, $350 well spent, ABSOLUTELY recommend this, thanks Much to Brad and "DOC", Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Hello all, just installed my re worked clutch from Doc and Brad, full tune-up plus the Venom kit to lower RPM etc. Installed yesterday morn, very pleased, excellent service and very quick turnaround, basically one week, $350 well spent, ABSOLUTELY recommend this, thanks Much to Brad and "DOC", Dave

Dave,

Thank you for the kind words, it has been our pleasure working with you.

Best Regards,
@Bradhill- Brad Hill @MBDiagMan- Larry “Doc” Bible

JD Clutch Doc
[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone have any advice or info on lighter springs for 2018 xuv 590m. I’m looking for some improvements on lower end torque. Was thinking about performance chip as well as putting bigger tires and Fox exhaust. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There really isn’t much talk about making these 590m have little more exceleration and power.

Thank you
Mike

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
When I re-engined my 550 I got 3 or 4 springs for the primary clutch centered around where I thought I would want. Then I tried them to see which provided the performance I wanted. When looking at springs the first number is what controls the primary's engagement rpm and the second number controls how it "upshifts". I did not do anything with my secondary clutch but there is also some tuning you can do there as well except it is controlled by torque instead of rpm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for your responses. So as I was in there checking out my belt noticed there was a groove in my clutch plate on the low end side of the plate that normal?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
No, the clutch plates should be shiny and smooth so the belt can smoothly slide up and down. There is a small vertical section in the very center but there should be no grooves.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Thank you for your responses. So as I was in there checking out my belt noticed there was a groove in my clutch plate on the low end side of the plate that normal?

Any chance you could post a photo of the clutch plate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a sticking 825i primary clutch. I want to send it to the clutch doc for exchange/repair. I would also like the baseline Venom kit installed as well. Please forward shipping info and how to pay - I tried pming bradhill on this site but it says box full etc
I know clutch doc is on Facebook but I don't have an acount there. Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
I've got a sticking 825i primary clutch. I want to send it to the clutch doc for exchange/repair. I would also like the baseline Venom kit installed as well. Please forward shipping info and how to pay - I tried pming bradhill on this site but it says box full etc
I know clutch doc is on Facebook but I don't have an acount there. Thanks for any help!

Sorry my mailbox was full.
Please email JD Clutch Doc at [email protected] for more information.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am VERY pleased that it is working well for you Dane!:)

I have worked with these clutches enough now, I have gained a very high level of confidence that I can set them up to work properly. These were designed for snowmobiles, not for warm weather use. It is a mass produced item, so I expect that it is not economically feasible for the manufacturer to hand fit and polish the portions of the clutch that really need it, especially for a warm climate.

I believe that this is the reason that the clutches on some Gator models are sometimes the Achilles heel of the whole vehicle.

In a very few operating hours after buying my new 825i, the clutch failed. They put one in under warranty and asked if I had been pulling anything heavy or driving it hard, which I had not. Just as the warranty expired, the replacement clutch failed, so it was time for me to tear in there and get to the bottom of it. I spent way more money and time on tooling than it would have taken to buy a supply of clutches, but I made mine work well and learned a ton from doing it. The first clutch I did is still in my personal Gator and still working well in all conditions.

I then came up with a few bad clutches to work with and figured out the best approach and learned what it takes to make them right. It is not a quick process, and not something you can easily tell someone how to do.

It takes a good bit of tooling just to be able to get these clutches apart and back together properly without doing any damage. Once apart, it is a good bit of hand work to make them fit properly such that the clutch works freely, but is not noisy.

I am very pleased that I have figured out how to do this. Not only to have my own Gator reliable, but also being able to cure headaches for others. Once these are out of warranty, if they give shifting trouble, I can with confidence make your clutch reliable.
I have not heard clutch complaints specifically about the 850's, but that doesn't mean they don't occur. As long as it shifts smoothly while at idle speed, your clutch can safely be assumed good. If it is grinding or difficult to get into gear while at proper idle speed, the problem is very likely the primary clutch.

Hope this helps.
How do I contact you to repair my 550 clutch?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mtorep,
The answer you seek is in the post previous to yours.

Please contact JD Clutch Doc at : [email protected] for more information.

Let us know how it works out for you once installed.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts