Super Moderator
3,257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you've read the forum for a while you've probably seen member MBDiagMan offer his clutch tuning services. I took him up on it and sent my clutch to him. I got it back last week and WOW! what a improvement. This is the best a clutch has ever worked. It works better than a "good" clutch fresh from the dealer.

I have not had a single instance yet where the clutch did not open as it should. Previously hot days and getting the clutch hot would cause problems. I gave it every torture I could this weekend and every time I stopped the clutch disengaged perfectly.

A benefit I did not expect is that it shifts more smoothly. I never thought I would be able to feel it but it does noticeably shift/transition more smoothly than before. Previously when accelerating I could feel that the clutch was balking as it up and downshifted. Now it's a continuous, butter smooth progression when accelerating and decelerating.

Aside from the clutch operating properly. It is just more predictable. After driving it a while I know exactly when it's going to engage and disengage. Previously there a range of where I thought it would do something. Now it does it like clockwork at the same rpm every time. It's doubly amazing considering how hot I got it and it still is predictable and reliable.
Can you get him to contact me about tuning 550 clutch, [email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had to take out my transmission to replace shifter and some shims fall on the mounting bolts where do they go and why??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am VERY pleased that it is working well for you Dane!:)

I have worked with these clutches enough now, I have gained a very high level of confidence that I can set them up to work properly. These were designed for snowmobiles, not for warm weather use. It is a mass produced item, so I expect that it is not economically feasible for the manufacturer to hand fit and polish the portions of the clutch that really need it, especially for a warm climate.

I believe that this is the reason that the clutches on some Gator models are sometimes the Achilles heel of the whole vehicle.

In a very few operating hours after buying my new 825i, the clutch failed. They put one in under warranty and asked if I had been pulling anything heavy or driving it hard, which I had not. Just as the warranty expired, the replacement clutch failed, so it was time for me to tear in there and get to the bottom of it. I spent way more money and time on tooling than it would have taken to buy a supply of clutches, but I made mine work well and learned a ton from doing it. The first clutch I did is still in my personal Gator and still working well in all conditions.

I then came up with a few bad clutches to work with and figured out the best approach and learned what it takes to make them right. It is not a quick process, and not something you can easily tell someone how to do.

It takes a good bit of tooling just to be able to get these clutches apart and back together properly without doing any damage. Once apart, it is a good bit of hand work to make them fit properly such that the clutch works freely, but is not noisy.

I am very pleased that I have figured out how to do this. Not only to have my own Gator reliable, but also being able to cure headaches for others. Once these are out of warranty, if they give shifting trouble, I can with confidence make your clutch reliable.

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
101 - 112 of 112 Posts