John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 xuv 825i around 10hrs so far, I live in north Missouri, new gator turns over a lot when cold starting then blubbers some before smoothing out. Sure thought it would start right up like most fuel-injected motors. Anyone else having this problem? Haven't talked to the dealer yet wanted some feedback first. thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you go to start it, do you turn the key and let the fuel pump run for a few seconds to pressurize the system before you start cranking on it???

If not, then that might be all there is to it....the symptoms you describe fit that exactly...if it's not that, then you might have a leak in your line somewhere and it's keeping it from putting the proper amount of fuel to the engine while its cold...that would cause the sputtering too...might be as simple as a loose connection at the injectors or somewhere else in the line letting it get air into it...

Let us know how you fix it...sorry to state the obvious as a solution, but most times, it's something simple like that...

Larry in MD

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have a new 825i and was thinking the same thing. Have not ran it much but did not think it started as smooth as my fuel injected 4 wheeler at first.

Thank you for the post and suggestion Larry. I will have to try it this weekend and see if it starts up smoother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been letting the pump prime and shut off before trying to start engine. I would say that the engine turns over at least 10 or 12 times before it fires then blubbers a little before smoothing out. This is my first gator so I am not sure if this is right or not. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been letting the pump prime and shut off before trying to start engine. I would say that the engine turns over at least 10 or 12 times before it fires then blubbers a little before smoothing out. This is my first gator so I am not sure if this is right or not. Thanks
If you have been letting the pump prime and all that, it shouldn't spit and sputter after starting...mine doesn't...I still think there is a small air leak in the system that is sucking air into the fuel line causing the sputtering...then when it finally clears up, there is enoufgh fuel going to it so that the air doesn't affect it...I'd check all the connections in the fuel line, or else take it to the dealership and let them do it...with that few amount of hours on it, Deere should take care of it under warranty no problem...they might even know why it does that from other cases...

Good luck...make sure you post up the fix when you get it done...

Larry in MD :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
The fuel regulator inside the fuel tank is causing this problem.The regulator is plastic and will warp causing fuel to leak by and reduce fuel pressure during startup.Your dealer should know about this problem(there is a service bulliton on it) and will be able to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should be getting my gator in to the dealer in the next few days, and I will let you know what they have to say about it. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my gator back from the dealer it was a loose fitting some where in the fuel line. Anyway it seems to be starting alot better now, I will keep everyone posted if anything changes. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cool...if there was something loose, it was sucking air, or losing a bit of fuel which both would cause hard starting...Glad you got it fixed up...

Larry in MD :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
The fuel regulator inside the fuel tank is causing this problem.The regulator is plastic and will warp causing fuel to leak by and reduce fuel pressure during startup.Your dealer should know about this problem(there is a service bulliton on it) and will be able to fix it.
Just curious why the regulator would only cause problems during starting when cold - if it were defective would it not cause the problem all the time. Low pressure is low pressure right?

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
The pump primes the system when you first turn the key to the run position for 3 seconds, When the fuel regulator is leaking by there isn't enough pressure during cold startup which in turn makes it hard to start. Eventually it will build up enough for it to start and run. If the fuel regulator is leaking badly enough it will not start or run. The earlier 825i had this regulator problem and has been fixed with updated parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bringing up an old thread but I'm having the same problem. When it gets below 50 degrees it will crank for ever and then spit and sputter till it smooths out. I've replaced the regulator in the tank new filter and plugs. Still won't start. After it gets running its fine. Anyone have another idea? Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like the injectors are leaking fuel into cylinders when the engine is off. I've had this on engines whit a lot of hours and engines that have low hours and sit most of the time. The injectors need to be removed and checked. Leave them hooked to the fuel rail and check the spray pattern. Then see if fuel is dripping out of them. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine has done this since day 1. Actually the first time I drove it after delivery it wouldn't even start because I was turning they key quickly like a truck. Now anytime I turn the key to prime for a second and then start it starts no issue and doesn't sputter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I learned several years ago, that with any of the new stuff nowadays, especially so if lots of electronics controlling things, I always turn the key on and wait a few seconds to let the system settle down and then start. Probably have avoided a lot of problems in using that method.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did this this last spring. No matter how many times you let the fuel pump pressure it would not start. Luckily it was under warranty. The dealer had it for over a month and then said it was the temp sender and replaced it. When I got it back the weather was warmer and it would start. Now that the weather is cold again, back to the same. Will not start!!! No warranty now. They told me to change the temp sender again $35 and no luck. Might be time to trade for a more reliable brand!!! I'm sick of this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts