John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2000 Gator 6x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my new to me 2000 6x4 my cooling fan comes on as soon as the ignition switch is turned on if the engine is cold or hot and runs as long as the switch is on, when I turn the switch off it takes a few seconds for the engine to actually shut off and the dash lites slowly go out as the engine and fan slow down, I suspect the fan has been wired directly to the ignition switch due to a bad temp switch or bad relay any insight would be helpful.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
What can the community say if you suspect "custom" wiring? It is not supposed to work like this, so suggest verifying wiring modifications and if temperature switch is functioning correctly. Some units use a temperature switch, so it might be an easy fix. Suggest verifying switch operation using hot water, thermometer and a voltmeter.

Is there any chance you can ask the previous owner to explain the wiring?

I'd fix as this puts tremendous load on the alternator and may make charging battery difficult.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jux

· Registered
2000 Gator 6x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to work like that and the previous owner got it from a friend so no one knows what has been done, I have done a full service on it as I always do with something I buy used so I know its done correctly, I will order a service manual and try to find a wiring diagram and go from there.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
On some machines there are two temperature sensors. A switch for fan and sensor for gauge.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
If not a gauge an idiot light.

Each model is different and only wanted to highlight there be two temp sensors so you’re alerted. Didn’t want you changing the first one you see and not realize there may be others.

Your particular model may only have one temp sensor.
The tech manual will indicate how many you have and how to test.

Remember to get all or the air out of the cooling system when refilling.

· Registered
2000 Gator 6x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So just an update to what I have found on my cooling situation, the wires to the temp probe in the radiator has been cut, the fan wires have been wired directly to the ignition switch, I have put a switch in line for now so I can turn the fan on/off as needed, so far the engine temp has never gone over 122 degrees but I am sure when summer comes or I work it harder the temp will go up and everything will need to work as designed, I have a new probe but don't have a wiring diagram so I can make proper repairs, I did purchase a full repair manual but it is the wrong one so if anyone has the proper schematic it would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Is that 122 C or F?

If degrees F, that is generally too cold and sounds like the thermostat is stuck open or missing.

Do you have plans on fixing, so it is automated or plan on keeping manual.

Thanks for reporting your findings.

• Helpful

· Registered
2000 Gator 6x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that 122 C or F?

If degrees F, that is generally too cold and sounds like the thermostat is stuck open or missing.

Do you have plans on fixing, so it is automated or plan on keeping manual.

Thanks for reporting your findings.
Fahrenheit, and yes I want everything to work as intended, I do NOT see any water movement in the radiator but its not hot enough to open the thermostat at 122f

· Registered
2,936 Posts
If thermostat is functioning and it is full of coolant without air pockets, something is wrong. It should heat up after a few minutes of operation.

· Registered
75 Posts
From the official book of words......

Thermostat specifications:
Begin-to-open . . . . . . . . . . approximately 82°C (180°F)
Full-open . . . . . . . . . . . . . . approximately 96°C (205°F)

Fan shouldn't kick on until around 200°F, shut off around 180°F.

· Registered
75 Posts
I did purchase a full repair manual but it is the wrong one so if anyone has the proper schematic it would be greatly appreciated.
Which one did you get? I purchased this one and it has everything. The tech manual itself has over 700 pages so I'm not going to print it out. Also includes the parts and operator's manuals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts