John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual for my 2021 Xuv560e shows the correct fluid for the front diff and the transaxle to be low viscosity hygaurd hydraulic fluid. I’m in the equipment field and have ATV’s and that fluid recommendation sounds odd. The diff in most other machines like these UTV’s use a 80w90 or 75w140 gear oil. The hydraulic fluid sounds like it wouldn’t hold up to shock loading in tougher situations. Anyone use anything other then the recommended fluid?

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
My manual for my 2021 Xuv560e shows the correct fluid for the front diff and the transaxle to be low viscosity hygaurd hydraulic fluid. I’m in the equipment field and have ATV’s and that fluid recommendation sounds odd. The diff in most other machines like these UTV’s use a 80w90 or 75w140 gear oil. The hydraulic fluid sounds like it wouldn’t hold up to shock loading in tougher situations. Anyone use anything other then the recommended fluid?
HYGuard is what Deere recommends, I have never read about a failure due to using HYGuard.

Reactions: jd772

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a XUV865 and the manual specs say use j20C Hy-Gard hydraulic and transmission oil for the front diff and transaxle. However, the manual has one comment for the front differential that was confusing and likely in error that said, "John Deere J20C Low Viscosity HY-GARD™ transmission and hydraulic oil is recommended." To my knowledge, J20C does not have a low viscosity version.

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
I have a XUV865 and the manual specs say use j20C Hy-Gard hydraulic and transmission oil for the front diff and transaxle. However, the manual has one comment for the front differential that was confusing and likely in error that said, "John Deere J20C Low Viscosity HY-GARD™ transmission and hydraulic oil is recommended." To my knowledge, J20C does not have a low viscosity version.
There is a low viscosity Hi-Gard, in fact I run it in my Gator and 3520. Obviously a misprint in your manual this is a J20D oil

·
Registered
31 Posts

it is also used in my front 4WD axle (in addition to all the hydraulics and hydrotrans) in my John Deere 3046r tractor. I think it is their go to oil for these applications, so not strange.

·
Registered
364 Posts
And you don't have to buy the expensive JD products. There's a lot of stuff out there that meets/exceeds JD20C and JD20D specs. Reason? There's so much JD stuff out there, there's a Buck to make selling oil, filters, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
And you don't have to buy the expensive JD products. There's a lot of stuff out there that meets/exceeds JD20C and JD20D specs. Reason? There's so much JD stuff out there, there's a Buck to make selling oil, filters, etc.
According to the MSDS dated 2014, Chevron blends HY-Gard for Deere.

MSDS HY-Gard Low Vis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts