John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of us have probably learned, no good deed goes unpunished (lol). I lent my 2015 825i to a friend, it came back with the key broken off in the ignition switch. After researching, I'm almost sure I've found the correct replacement. Can someone with this model please confirm that this looks like your key (I like the dust cover): https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Ignition-Key-AUC12681.html .

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
A broken key removal tool set is real handy. The key blanks are actually a Briggs/Stratton which can be found at most key places. A locksmith can cut a new key with the recovered shank. Otherwise, most JD dealers stock spare keys as they tend to be cut the same. If not, they're a few days away on shipping.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As most of us have probably learned, no good deed goes unpunished (lol). I lent my 2015 825i to a friend, it came back with the key broken off in the ignition switch. After researching, I'm almost sure I've found the correct replacement. Can someone with this model please confirm that this looks like your key (I like the dust cover): https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Ignition-Key-AUC12681.html .

Thanks!
All gator keys fit all gators.
Theres the model ypu have with the cap.
the "flag" style images_1570511686950.jpeg and a plain metal one
31-12128_1570512494139.jpg

They all fit

The red key (tractor) and the modern one with the rounded top wont fit.
download_1570511652402.jpeg
This wont fit

As a mechanic i always have the dinky key on my personal chain as it saves space and it does not break off like the flag style which tend to break near the ring.
On my secondary work set of keys i have the flag style

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks!
All gator keys fit all gators.
Theres the model ypu have with the cap.
the "flag" style View attachment 12041 and a plain metal one
View attachment 12049

They all fit

The red key (tractor) and the modern one with the rounded top wont fit.
View attachment 12039
This wont fit

As a mechanic i always have the dinky key on my personal chain as it saves space and it does not break off like the flag style which tend to break near the ring.
On my secondary work set of keys i have the flag style

Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A broken key removal tool set is real handy. The key blanks are actually a Briggs/Stratton which can be found at most key places. A locksmith can cut a new key with the recovered shank. Otherwise, most JD dealers stock spare keys as they tend to be cut the same. If not, they're a few days away on shipping.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the removal tool is good except when the key was broken at a point where I can't get to it and it's twisted into the switch (clearly my friend doesn't know his own strength LOL). It's ok, for $35 (of his money) I've got a new ignition switch and a spare key. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I found the shank removal tool handy for when a lanyard got tangled in my clod hopper and snap. Had spare keys and used a flat bladed screwdriver to work the ignition for a couple days until I could get to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the shank removal tool handy for when a lanyard got tangled in my clod hopper and snap. Had spare keys and used a flat bladed screwdriver to work the ignition for a couple days until I could get to it.

Cool.... Hah, I know Bonner's Ferry, my in-laws have a place in Bayview.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts