John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only owned her for three days and cracked front differential already. Hoping warranty coverers it. I was going throigh a little dryed up narrow two to maybe three foot deep creek in 4wd and fromt end came off ground on the way up and seemed like right when it came back down to get traction i heard the loud clank. What did i do wromg and how do i avoid this from happening again

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
did u have the diff lock on? what it sounds like to me and iv seen it before on there forums is that it was locked in and when the tries come off the ground and hit back down they put such a great amount of pressure it cracked the diff. im not to sure on the warranty side of it tho i would think it would be covered

·
Registered
709 Posts
I dont see why it wouldnt be covered. Best thing to do is if your front wheels leave the ground, to let off on the gas. When you have those wheels turning, leave the air, there is no pressure on the differential, then when you set back down, it puts a lot of initial force on the differential.

Either done use the front diff lock if think you'll be leaving the ground, or let off the gas. But it should be covered by the dealer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont see why it wouldnt be covered. Best thing to do is if your front wheels leave the ground, to let off on the gas. When you have those wheels turning, leave the air, there is no pressure on the differential, then when you set back down, it puts a lot of initial force on the differential.

Either done use the front diff lock if think you'll be leaving the ground, or let off the gas. But it should be covered by the dealer.
so this only happens when you have all 4 locked in? or any of the 4wd settings

·
Registered
709 Posts
4WD engaged i dont think is as big of a deal as if you LOCK in the front diff. I think the only time you'd see this happen again is if your tires leave the ground. I have done some pretty gnarly things with my RSX, but haven't had any issues. But then again, i dont run in diff lock unless i absolutely have to..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i agree with deeresales when u lock in the diff lock it does not allow the diff to take as bad a beating because it is all engaged u really shoulld only use 4WD Diff Lock when u really need it and never see the tires coming off the ground

1 - 8 of 8 Posts