John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 gator it ran out of fuel I refueled and it started then stopped. Now it cranks but wont start. I'm guessing its a clogged carb. any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
I have a 2001 gator it ran out of fuel I refueled and it started then stopped. Now it cranks but wont start. I'm guessing its a clogged carb. any other suggestions?
Which model do you own ?

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
Have you confirmed spark, air and fuel ?

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter ? It’s possible it picked up crud on the bottom the tank ?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If post 5 is factual, I don’t understand why they are tracking the fuel path.

if all three are known to be good, I’d check compression.

Check air fuel spark means all three are present in the power chamber. Only thing missing is compression.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So there is spark when I spray starter fluid into carb it turns over but doesn’t continue to run. Fuel pump is pumping fuel when cranking. I’m guessing clogged carb and/or stuck float.

Check air fuel spark means all three are present in the power chamber. Only thing missing is compression.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Remove fuel bowl. Is fuel present in reasonable quantity?

if yes the problem is likely forward of tje fuel bowl meaning the fuel passages and air bleed holes are likely clogged. Clean by soaking disassembled carb in carb cleaner. Sometimes a soft metal wire can be used to clear hardened gunk inside the passages. Make certain these passages are clean.
If fuel is not in the bowl or only a small amount suspect float/needle/seat, fuel flow after filter and work back to the pickup assembly inside tank.

Post back what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No fuel in bowl

Remove fuel bowl. Is fuel present in reasonable quantity?

if yes the problem is likely forward of tje fuel bowl meaning the fuel passages and air bleed holes are likely clogged. Clean by soaking disassembled carb in carb cleaner. Sometimes a soft metal wire can be used to clear hardened gunk inside the passages. Make certain these passages are clean.
If fuel is not in the bowl or only a small amount suspect float/needle/seat, fuel flow after filter and work back to the pickup assembly inside tank.

Post back what you find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts