John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and looking for some help with a 6X4 diesel Gator. The battery is constantly going dead and found there is a current draw when the battery is connected without anything being turned on. I checked the wiring and haven't found any chaffed wires to leak current to ground so I'm thinking a relay of some sort is sticking. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas of where to start. Also, the covers for the warning lights on the dash are missing and I have no idea what light means what. If anyone has a similar Gator and can let me know what the lights stand for, I'd appreciate it. Trying to help the owner of this machine and he hasn't found the manual for it yet to be of any help. BTW, the model number is W006X4D001980. I think it is a 2004 model year. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!! Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, batman.

When I got my first diesel truck a few years ago I found a PSD forum site and it has been awesome with the great people and useful info I gotten from the posts. From looking at some of the posts here, I'm confident this site will be just as great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
First off you will have to have an automotive or similar meter that reads amps..set your meter to auto..hook a fused jumper lead to the pos cable and battery...disconnect the pos lead at this time with jumper still attached, then hook you meter positive to cable end and neg to battery Positive post, at this time disconnect your fused jumper and will get an amperage reading of your Draw...At this time you will remove 1 fuse at a time until you find the Draw,,,sometimes it can be the alternator, just disconnect it from the battery lead..Always take the Key Out of the Ignition when doing this Test...The Battery can also be a Draw itself..make sure its not wet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't find any fuses on the machine anywhere, just fuasable links in the wire harness. But I did find the draw. The voltage regulator in the alternator had malfunctioned and was constantly supplying power to the alternator. Eventually burned out the alternator. Got it rebuilt and no more problems. Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts