John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post a proposed solution to enhance the effectiveness of the factory CV Axle guards that are offered by J.D.
I ordered a set of guards for my RSX from Green Parts and after installing them realized the front guards do little to protect the front outer CV boots. The boots are completely exposed and very vulnerable to damage in just about any type Off-Road environment. My solution was to fabricate extensions that attached to the new guards. I actually had some material on hand that matched the new guards (1/8" aluminum) sheet. I made a template from cardboard and clamped it in place to check clearance with the wheels fully turned in either direction. After some trimming and sizing I was able to make an extension that bolted to the new guards which provides adequate protection to the CV boots without any interference with the steering or suspension. I'll post some pics for anyone interested. It was quite simple and took about an hour to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It was really quite simple. When I realized the new guards came short of covering the boots I told my son, I don't understand why J.D. Wouldn't have made them longer so they would at least cover as much as the plastic ones that came on it. I initially tried to figure a way to incorporate the plastic ones under the new ones but that didn't work and would look cheap. So the next sensible option was to add an extension that would look as if it could be an aftermarket add-on. I had an old street sign hanging on the wall of my garage and realized it was exactly the same material. I made a cardboard template, a few adjustments and it looked ok. Then I measured the breaks where the bends were, put it in the vice and bent the offsets, clamped it to the guard and drilled the bolt holes. When I checked clearance there was only about 1/32" clearance with the steering maxed out so I took it off and added spacers ( a nut between the two pieces ) and reattached it. Now the clearance is about 3/8" so it should not cause a problem. I saved the templates so if anyone is interested I would be glad to share.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CV Axle Guards Enhancement RSX 850i

Couple more pics of the CV guard extensions.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front view.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, try front view again.

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
Great Idea!!!!!!! Looks damn good for using simple tools around the shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are Eibach coil springs. I highly recommend them for any type of extreem riding. This unit was setup for racing on the Ralley circuit when it was new. I bought it with 40 hours on it. The guy spent over $6,000.00 on performance upgrades to make it competitive on the track. After I got it I put another $3,000.00 in it. It's fast and handles great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts