John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late yesterday jumped on the 850 to go check some sweet corn we planted a coupe weeks ago about 8 mi from the house. Got there and shut it down and restarted a coupe times. Got back home and was going to back up to the garage door to haul some stuff to the shed and it died when I let off to shift to reverse. Tried to restart and all it did was click like a low battery. Put the charger on it for a few minutes and and it started up right up backed up and loaded my stuff up but before I got to the shed 100 ft away the batt light came on.
Any one else had any charging, bad battery, voltage regulator issues??

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a very similar problem. My 40 amp fuse under the hood on the passenger side kept slowly melting. When it first started doing it, I checked the fuse and you couldn't tell anything was wrong. I took it to Deere to have it checked out, only to be told is was a bad fuse. I thought they were joking. They showed me the fuse and it was significantly melted. The fuse still wasn't "blown" though. I got to noticing thereafter that whenever I would go through any water with the machine hot or sometimes washed the machine, the steem generated up front is pretty intense. My theory is that the moisture was wreaking havoc with the fuse (but only the 40 amp main). I started keeping a hefty supply of extra fuses with me and immediately replaced the 40 amp fuse whenever the battery light came on. I filled the entire cavity behind the fuse box with expanding foam spray and haven't had a problem in over 2 months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mines does the same thing when I get it wet it melts just the 40 amp fuse!

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!! I took a look at the 40amp fuse and just like you guys said it was melted but not blown. There did seem to be some corrosion on the fuse blades. Will get a couple spares to carry in the tool kit and clean the contacts and see what happens. Has anyone tried dielectric grease on the fuse blades? Seems to be a common problem, you would think deere would have a PIP out on this??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine didn't have grease the first time but i put some on all of them and it still happened again!

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

1 - 6 of 6 Posts