John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I'm the proud new owner of a diesel 6x4, 2005 vintage. I got it at auction so I don't know it's history.

It runs great once we get it started but it's hard to start without a fresh charge on the battery and a shot of ether in the air cleaner, especially on cold mornings.

I bought three new glow plugs from the JD dealer and put Em in today, pretty painless once I got the nerve to pull the intake manifold / valve cover assembly off. The old plugs did not heat up with 12v applied and the new ones do, so I think we're on the right track. With the old plugs in, I checked for voltage at the plug head and got about 12 with the key turned to the glow position, so I thought the glow relay was OK.

However when we got it all back together with the new plugs, it right away started blowing a 30 amp fuse under the dash as soon as we turn the key. It is now only showing milivolts at the plug head.

Any thoughts? I think we put it back together right but maybe there's a short?

Thanks! Otherwise I am digging the new gator, it's beefy and useful!
Cheers
Farmer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify we blew two fuses at key turn before running out, will get more but need to find the problem....

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sounds like a short or a relay problem. I would think the short could be anywhere from the key to the plugs.

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply Batman. Glad to find the forum!

I took a quick look today and did not see any shorts at the plug heads. A thorough inspection will require a little more time.

I suppose it's possible that the previous owner had stuck the wrong fuse in the circuit. I am blowing 30 amp fuses. I read elsewhere on the forum that the glow plugs should have a resistance of about 1 ohm. If that's correct, and we're applying 12 volts, using ohms law (current = voltage / resistance) I'd get 12 amps per plug. Three plugs would draw 36 amps...

I'm working on getting the manual, so I can look up a fuse diagram. Does anybody know what fuse belongs in the top row, second from left, which I assume is the glow circuit? I'd hate to fry anything costly with a 40amp fuse, the glow plugs were salty enough!

I got it going today with a shot of ether and a jump... Big fun hauling hay to the cows in wet snow, mighty practical!

Thanks
Farmer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts