John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at either buying a 825 or 850 trail and I can get power steering on the 825 but not on the 850. My question is does the 850 need the power steering?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't say that it "Needs" it. However, it is well worth the money to put it on the 850i. Super ATV sells an aftermarket kit for $650

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a trail. The only time PS would be beneficial is if you are sitting still trying to turn the wheel, or going over a lot of logs/rocks which kicks the steering wheel back and forth a lot. Otherwise i do just fine. Heck, driving it, i am usually driving it one handed like a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I am getting ready to order an 850 Trail and was debating if I needed to get a 825 instead because they have power steering. I had a John Deere 500 ATV and it was very hard to steer when in 4WD

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine is not bad when in motion to steer in 2wd or 4wd. doing a 3 pt turn, that's a little different story. I am considering a Power Steering kit for mine, but as of right now im happy!

·
Registered
904 Posts
My gator is easy to steer, even with 29.5 Outlaws. It is just a pain in 4wd when in turns and then like DeereSales101 said about sitting still or in turn around situations. I have a SuperATV kit here in my shop waiting for it to warm up or me get a bullet heater and put in the shop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Without any hesitation I would choose the 850i trail over the 825 any day and just purchase the PS kit from superATV. After all with the 850i trail you get a warn winch, I don't think the winch comes on the 825.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I as well am going to install power steering... it's pretty good without it... but it is on my wish list

·
Registered
41 Posts
@ ghackler: I'm trying to sell my sport model with under 400 miles. I'm in texas tho, not sure where you're from. If you are interested PM me. Lots of extras

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have an 825i and initially I thought I needed it but after advice to use 4x4 and differential lock only when needed (for me it turns out not that much) I really got used to the steering.

My real concern is steering kick and somehow loosing control and rolling. From what I can tell this is more likely climbing or descending and hitting a rock or a hole. I view it now more a safety issue so it is on my list.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only and biggest reason I see for power steering on the 850 is kickback and I ride a lot of rocky terrain that's why I'm thinking of it, but for everyday riding in fields, and maintained trails it steers fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was without power steering for the first month, it's a little pricey, a little hard to install, but I would not hesitate to do it again. Just try turning the steering wheel with the machine sitting still and turned off, turn the key on and there is a huge difference. If your on rough terrain at slow speeds it's a must, plus you can steer with one hand and hold onto the handle between the seats easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have bought the power steering for my rsx trail. It is well worth the money and a great add on. When locked up in the woods and mountains it gets tough after a while going at slower speeds. And when you have to lock it in to lock diff and try to turn, man can't be good on plastic steering wheel. Also takes away that bump steer which will reduce the chance of the steering wheel taking your thumb half off. And this gator has a wire already ran to plug it in so no wiring needs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How would you guys rate the install? Any special tools needed?

6pk or Case job...:p

·
Registered
904 Posts
From what I have seen, looks like a 6 pack and no special tools other than a snap ring pliers. I will know here soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Huge difference and definitely worth the money!!! I'm not sure why john deere offers a sport steering wheel upgrade for around $300 and not a power steering option. Install wasn't too bad but would have been a lot easier if I would have had a steering wheel puller and lock ring pliers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since the power steering helps so much at slow speeds has anyone had any trouble with the charging system keeping up? I have been looking at the super atv kit and just got to wondering. My RSX could use P/S when the wife drives it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You Know its so Light on the front end of these 825's..Is it needed? eps is nice..not only on a kickbacks.. but a lot of tight maneuvers on Hilly area trails...I Luv it for that..The trails I am on are tight and Quick with not a lot of response time..I bought My Gator with high back seats and EPS...and now I went to a class on EPS!! so if I have an Issue I think I can fix it without any Issues

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had any charging issues since installing mine. I have run factory lights and leds with it and no problem. I did have battery light come on before while winching but that's the only time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts