John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sport with about 8 hours on it and I've noticed a rattling noise that sounds like it comes from the center directly under or behind the seats when I'm going in the 28-30MPH range. It doesn't do it every time, and it doesn't do it long. I'm thinking it might be related to the CVT but really can't tell for sure. It sounds like light weight metals banging together, maybe like a screw driver tapping a drive line somewhat rapidly. Anyone else ever hear something similar?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't have a 850 but I have heard as sound similar to that with other CVT systems. It was in the secondary/driven clutch. The spring would rub or rattle against the side of the clutch ramps. In that situation it was not harmful and did not cause wear or any problem other than an annoying rattle.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would suggest that you pull the cluch cover and drive it carefully with the bed tilted up. You will probably be able to hear where it is coming from.

I heard a noise like this when experimenting with weights. If it is happening at a particular rpm and not below,or above that rpm, then it could be clutch weights rattling. If it is, it might be annoying, but unless you drive often at that rpm, it should not hurt anything.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming it is the clutch weights, is there anything that can be done or is it the nature of the design? It doesn't do it enough now to bother much, but if it gets worse, that might be another story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
solution

my rsx had the same problem it was extremely annoying, what it ended up being is all the vent tubes under the driver seat had been re routed up the rollcage tube behind driver seat and one of the fuel vent lines has a big brass fitting on the end that was rattling in the rollcage tube. id bet its the same thing with yours.

just pull off the panel that wraps around your fuel filler tube and youll see them going up the tube.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Assuming it is the clutch weights, is there anything that can be done or is it the nature of the design? It doesn't do it enough now to bother much, but if it gets worse, that might be another story.
Vibrations and noises are absolutely the most difficult troubleshooting to help with over the internet. IF the noise is at one, particular, steady speed, then it might be the weights. If it is the weights, it would be a tedious process to come up with a cure.

I experienced the weight rattling issue while experimenting with using modified diesel weights in an 825i. The cure was to go back to the standard weights and limit my modification to spring change.

I would drive it with the bed lifted up so that you can try to hear where the noise is coming from.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts