John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the John Deere club as this is my first Gator purchase.

Looking to add a second battery in my 590M Special Edition to better power winch and extra LED lights added. Can anyone suggest a good spot since next to existing battery location is pretty tight? Suggestion, parts used is appreciated.

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
JD offered a dual battery setup as a kit for some models.

May want to search the accessories catalog, this site or jd online parts illustrations jdparts.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the John Deere club as this is my first Gator purchase.

Looking to add a second battery in my 590M Special Edition to better power winch and extra LED lights added. Can anyone suggest a good spot since next to existing battery location is pretty tight? Suggestion, parts used is appreciated.

John
I have a 2021 590M with a winch. It already has a decent alternator on it, so should be ok (assuming you are running the the engine when operating the winch). The battery is a typical lawn tractor battery, so if you really want to go that direction, it may be easier to modify the tie down to accept a smaller automotive battery. You will need to change the terminals though. Also, the winch has its own leads that taps into the battery.

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
Honestly if you manage the draw on the battery you should not need a second battery. There are LED lights out there that pull less than 5 amps some as low as 2 amps. If you run the engine while using your lights, winch, stereo etc and don’t flip every switch on the panel you should be okay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on finishing the installation of the lights this weekend. I'll wait to few weeks to see if the power draw on the batteries is noticeable before planning any install of a dual battery setup.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Keeping unnecessary electrical loads off while winching helps. The advice to have the engine running is sound from an electrical generation perspective. It also helps to remember the alternator output is dependent with engine rpm, so in tough winching applications it helps to have the rpms up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts