John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Derrrp .... I must be dumber than a box of hammers. I just discovered I can't lock the doors on my 835R. I get that there are no internal locks, but there are key slots in the external. Key fits but won't turn?

Do my ignition keys not match, or is there a trick or what?

Thanks,

Idiota

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 850d has a separate key for the cab locks than the ignition. Should be able to pick them up from your dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 2019 835m. After reading your post, I went out and tried to lock mine. The key turned pretty hard, but did lock the door, same key as the ignition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both. I'll try a little more force on each lock, and if not - dealer time. I appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
Thanks to both. I'll try a little more force on each lock, and if not - dealer time. I appreciate the help.

You might try applying dry graphite to the lock. This might help lubricate the lock mechanism.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brad. Good idea. After seeing a picture of the key, however, via text, the dealer told me I had been given Zero Turn keys. Said the cuff on that key won't allow it to fit all the way into the door lock and would work in the ignition but not the doors. He's meeting me this evening with the correct keys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
SOLVED:

1) The Gator keys are universal with other Gators AND with JD Zero Turns, or at least with mine, as I used the ZT key to start the Gator a moment ago.

2) The key shown at top or right is what was delivered with my Gator. That fits the hub on the ignition switch, but the cuff on it won't allow it to slide all the way into the door lock cylinder.

3) The key shown at bottom or left will fit the ignition switch AND the door lock, AND my 997 Zero Turn tractor.

Key #3, shown at bottom or left = winner. Problem solved.

Thanks to all who responded.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dan

I was told to just cut a little of the black plastic back so the key will go further in the key hole.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told to just cut a little of the black plastic back so the key will go further in the key hole.
That oughta do it. It's a good tip - thanks. I haven't tried it, however. If it's delivered new, I would find the answer unacceptable. $25K = one should receive a set of Gator keys that work without surgery.

Dealer was good to provide the replacement, and even deliver it to me.

I bought some spares:

John Deere Key TCA24616
Price: $3.18 – $1.59 each
Quantity: 2
GreenFarmParts.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to hear l was not the only one having door lock/unlock issues. My key has the collar around it ,top key in Deere John photo. I simply took a sharp razor knife and cut a slit in the top and bottom of the collar so the key would go in a little further, problem solved . Thanks to all ! Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts